Reliability; for owners of GK 400RBIV and 700RB II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Beefbass, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    This is a question for anyone who has either of these amps for awhile. Have you guys had any reliability issues with them? I'm kinda torn between one of these, or a Yorkville XS400.

As luck may have it, I may be coming into a 4 ohm 1X15 cab soon, so I would like a good head to go with it.

I play many different styles, using Jazz basses with DiMaraios and roundwounds, to a P Bass with Fender flats. I hear GK's a very versatile, but not sure about the reliability of their current stuff.

A guy hear has an old 400RB going thru an EV 1X12 cab, and it had a fat sound that I really like-thats why I'm considering GK.

Oh, and would you guys recommend buying it from Gard at bass central, over anybody else?

Thanks! :)

2. thadood

Jun 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    I have a 400RB-III. I bought it *almost* brand new (box was opened, and it was played for about 30 minutes) about a year ago. Now, I don't really play that often, mainly because I've been without a band for pretty much that same amount of time. When I do use it, it's used for hours at a time, under pretty demanding situations. I keep it in a rack, so it stays out of harms way to begin with.
  3. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Rik's Music has the best prices on GK. I'm about to buy a 1001RB-II because supposedly GK has done a lot to cure reliablility problems with their previous models. Rik's sells the 1001RB-II for $649 inc. shipping. That's a hard price to beat for a 700 watt amp.
  4. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I love the sound of my 700RB 210.

Great tone and very loud for a price that's not going to make you queezy at the checkout.

The only problem I've had so far is that in very humid weather, and in a room with little to no ventalation some moisture got into the pots and I had a crackle and pop noise that left after being left on for about 5 min.

Other than that this amp is a real work horse!