1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Reliability; for owners of GK 400RBIV and 700RB II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Beefbass, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    This is a question for anyone who has either of these amps for awhile. Have you guys had any reliability issues with them? I'm kinda torn between one of these, or a Yorkville XS400.

As luck may have it, I may be coming into a 4 ohm 1X15 cab soon, so I would like a good head to go with it.

I play many different styles, using Jazz basses with DiMaraios and roundwounds, to a P Bass with Fender flats. I hear GK's a very versatile, but not sure about the reliability of their current stuff.

A guy hear has an old 400RB going thru an EV 1X12 cab, and it had a fat sound that I really like-thats why I'm considering GK.

Oh, and would you guys recommend buying it from Gard at bass central, over anybody else?

Thanks! :)

Tim

2. thadood

thadood

Jun 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    I have a 400RB-III. I bought it *almost* brand new (box was opened, and it was played for about 30 minutes) about a year ago. Now, I don't really play that often, mainly because I've been without a band for pretty much that same amount of time. When I do use it, it's used for hours at a time, under pretty demanding situations. I keep it in a rack, so it stays out of harms way to begin with.

3. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Rik's Music has the best prices on GK. I'm about to buy a 1001RB-II because supposedly GK has done a lot to cure reliablility problems with their previous models. Rik's sells the 1001RB-II for $649 inc. shipping. That's a hard price to beat for a 700 watt amp.

http://www.riksmusic.com

4. steve_man

steve_man Supporting Member

May 15, 2002
    I love the sound of my 700RB 210.

Great tone and very loud for a price that's not going to make you queezy at the checkout.

The only problem I've had so far is that in very humid weather, and in a room with little to no ventalation some moisture got into the pots and I had a crackle and pop noise that left after being left on for about 5 min.

Other than that this amp is a real work horse!