Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reliability issues of the GK 1001?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mesa Man, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Ok, Im searching for a new amp. The most interesting amp at the moment (for me, that is..) is the GK 1001 RB. So all I want to know is if any of you guys have had any troubles with yours? If so, what?

Any other comments/opinions on this particular head?

Ok, let me hear it! :cool:

Thanks.

2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I hear GK solved it's reliability issues. Haven't heard any bad things yet about the GK 1001 RB.
    Everyone who has one so far really likes them. Seems to have tons of headroom too. I don't think you'll go wrong with it.
    Good luck. :)

3. Thanks for your replies! :)

Sounds good, Im getting tired of lugging my 400+ around since it weighs a LOT, but unfortunately sounds good. :(

So I tried out the 700RB at rehearsals to see how it sounded, compared to my 400+. Well to put it simple: I could get quite close.. but not exact, of course the 400+ did "outloud" the 700RB by a mile or two. :rolleyes:

I thought "if the 700 is sufficiently loud for rehearsals, then the 1001 will be the way to go since they are the same except for the output power."

Now all I have to do is to get rid of my 400+ and get a 1001RB. But I dont really want to part with my ol' mesa. But I cant afford the 1001 without selling the 400+. Im in a jam so to speak :confused:

Oh well, enough babbling.. keep opinions coming!

4. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    I've had my Gk1001RB for about 3 months now with no problems. I'm running it with an avatar 410 and a home made 15 and it sounds great to me:D

5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've been using a 1001rb that I bought from Musicians' Friend over 3 years ago and it works fine with no problems. I run two Eden 2-10XLTs with it. I use one cab for smaller gigs. It's got great lows, mids, and highs; a lot of headroom; and a nice, dynamic, and quick punchy tone. Another great perk is that the head is small and light weight.

A search of this forum for 1001 comments will yield more info for you. As I recall, the 1000 and 2000 models were the ones with significant quality control problems. I think these issues have since been corrected.

6. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    The only problem that I can foresee is a name change.... Might I suggest GK Man? ;)

7. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I had a GK1001RB for about a year, and sold it when I got a rack system. I missed it, and just got a GK700RB for use as a practice amp. (I would have gotten another 1001 but I was doing a trade at the local music store and they had a 700 but no 1001 in stock.)

They are both nice amps. The 700 has a surprising amount of booty, fine for how I am using it, with an Epifani 1x12. The 1001 definitely has noticeably more booty than the 700, it's a loud, clean amp. Both amps are good with an 8 ohm load, but really come alive with a 4 ohm load. Neither are rated for 2 ohms.

The only downside IMHO is that they are quite hissy. Also, the bi-amp feature really only works with GK cabs, and adds even more hiss.

If you get one, check the connectors on the Speakon cable before you use it. Unscrew the connector cover and make sure the set-screws are tight. Both my amps came with loose connectors.

8. suck it up, exercise, and keep the Mesa.

9. WEll... thats about what I'm gonna do actually. I have (after many sleepless nights) decided to keep my 400+ for some time. I couldnt stand the thought of getting rid of it, and then regret it! :eek:

So, heavy as it may be.. it will stick to my playing. I will search the world for a cool wicked oldschool head.. but thats another story...