Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reliability of 2000rb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aaren Double J, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Ok folks, here's the deal. I just got me a 2nd hand GK 2000rb for £500 from my former guitar teacher.

Sounds great, seemed like a good deal.

Now apparently, these amps are said to be really unreliable. This did not occur to me at the time, since I am an idiot.

So, what, if anything , is unreliable about the GK 2000rb ?

Should I just get rid of it ?

:confused:

2. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Do a search of the amp forum for posts on the head. you'll find that this topic has been covered in detail quite a bit.

That said, not all of the 2000RBs are problematic. I have a friend who has one, and it has worked flawlessly ever since he bought it. Hopefully, you have one of the good ones.

3. I did a search but nothing useful came up. Ho hum.

Well , anyways , thanks bud !

4. TCollins

TCollins

Apr 4, 2000
    I bought a brand new one in 2000- sounded GREAT for a few months and just burned out (I am NOT a heavy volume rocker either). I sent it back and had an incredibly long wait (difficulty contacting customer service). When I got it back, it sounded great for a couple of months and simply died with a HORRIBLE sound that I did not know a bass amp could make. I got rid of it and got a Mesa Boogie 400+ and I haven't looked back since.

Try a search under my name and GK 2000RB for further details.
    It's been suggested that the early 2000RB was TOO HOT for the circuitry that was designed for it ...HHMMM?

I cannot speak for what the newer 2000RB performance record is though--they may have made the neccessary improvements.

I will say that when this amp was working well--it was one of the BEST sounding amps I've ever owned...

5. Cheers dud, just did that search, t'was most helpful !

Well, it's been ok so far , and is probably the cleanest amp I've ever played. Time will tell.

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I had nearly the EXACT same experience with my 2000RB. Bought it brand new about two years after they first came to market. Worked great for about a year, never driven too hard, then one day it fried, smoke and all, the very second I turned it on. GK kept it for SIX MONTHS, ignored my e-mails, and gave me a different story each time I called. It wasn't until after I sent a certified mail demand that if they weren't going to honor my warranty, they had to either replace it with a new unit or refund the purchase price.

I eventually got it back, and it worked fine for about two months, then died an even worse death, making a terrible noise just like you described.

I think that it was clear to GK that they had a lemon and they didn't know how to handle the situation. They almost immediately told me that the "transformer had to be replaced" when I first sent it in, but every few weeks when I checked in, I kept being told that they didn't have any more transformers (???). After six months, I heard every excuse in the book as to why they didn't have any more transformers, couldn't get any more transformers, were waiting on a production run of transformers, etc. etc. I heard it all, and it was something different each time. FOR MORE THAN SIX MONTHS.

Amazing that they were able to come up with a transformer so quickly after they received my final demand letter . . . Personally, I won't purchase ANY new GK products because of the way they mis-handled my warranty.

If I were you, I'd unload that sucker while I could still get my cash back out of it, just to be safe. There are too many identical stories about those things failing catastrophically, and the company's manner of handling of it says volumes.

7. Well , if it does crap out on me I'll probably not bother sending it back for repai. I save up and get a 20001rb.

8. TheInsider

TheInsider

Oct 8, 2002
    Middle USA
    Are you talking about the 2001RB

9. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    I think we all know what the guy meant... :rolleyes:

10. TheInsider

TheInsider

Oct 8, 2002
    Middle USA
    Just wanted to make sure. For all I knew they could have made one of these 2000RB's.

Here is what I know of the 2001RB's. They only shipped a few around spring of last year. They started having problems with them and I guess stopped making them. Last time I saw one was at NAMM and it looked completely different from the first ones I had seen. That was last July. Supposedly they are starting to ship again but GK doesn't know for sure. Getting answers out them is tough sometimes.

11. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    I getcha... You're almost correct. The original models, the 1000 and 2000RBs were deemed by most as lemons due to failures. They were quickly discontinued. This was during the dark days of GK customer service as well, which didn't help anything. The 1000RB was replaced by the 1001RB, the current model you'll see in stores, and the 2000RB was recently placed by the 2001RB, all of which sport GK's new look (which I'm not too fond of, but that's another issue... ;) ) If I'm wrong on any account, I'm sure the GK man will step in and correct me. Hope that clears it up. I thought you were making fun of the guy for adding an extra zero, hence the rolling eyes.

12. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    GK did not stop making the the 2001RB.It got a facelift as did the 400,700 and 1001RB.As far as i've heard there have been no reliability problems with the 2001RB.I've had mine since January and have had no problems.
    As for the 2000RB, there is a small modification that you can have done at the factory which will fix the problem they were having with some of the units.I believe GK will fix this for you even if you have a used unit.I'm sure Dan Elliot can elaborate for us.

13. TheInsider

TheInsider

Oct 8, 2002
    Middle USA
    I've had one on order since July of last year. I was beginning to think they didn't exist. Where did you get yours?