Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tetbtimmay, Jul 25, 2005.

1. tetbtimmay

Jul 25, 2005
    How reliable are the Gallien-Krueger amps?
  2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    answer to Flea,he knows about GK :bassist:
  3. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Reliable as all get out.
  4. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne

i've had a 400rbIII since new, about 5 years. it has always been in a warwick rock bag rack.

i've used this thing for hundreds of gigs and it has never broken. lately 3 or 4 gigs a week powering 210 and 212 cabs at 4ohms which is really too much for it but it never complains.

i dropped it once very badly and took it to my bass shop. they just turned it on and it was fine!

i also often leave it in the boot of my car after gigs. it doesn't get super cold here in melbourne but that has never caused any problems either.

so, i've had a very good run!

5. I had a Gallien Krueger 400RB III, for a short while- I brought it second hand... Previous to my ownership it had been gigged solidly for 4 or 5 years I believe. I neevr had any troubles with it, although the effects loop bypass wouldnt work, you needed to run a patch between send and return to put out sound if you werent using effects- Simply a cold soldered contact I'd say- easy fix but never bothered.

I now have an 800RB which is the best part of 18years old; nearly as old as me, and it looks like it's faired better than me too :bassist: This head has had the pots replaced- and had something fixxed in the power section (to be expected on a near 20yo amp I think); previous owner talkbass user Toddtodd, wasnt specaific about the troubles- but I do know he gigged this amp vigorusly & it is in brilliatn nick- I'm hoping it lasts another 18years :)

So GK's relaibility is all good, as far as I am concerend- I'm actually looknig for another Gallien Krueger head at the moment, to use with my transporter rig- I'm thinking a 700RB II will do nicely.
  6. Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    I had my 800RB well over 15yrs and never had any problems with it...