1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Reliable all-purpose AMP for small rehearsing sound studio ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Innuit, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Innuit

Innuit

Apr 3, 2013
    Hi guys,

i'm managing a little sound studio in Berlin (see picture below)
    Its 3.5x5m, in a basement, used by few different beginners bands (different styles).
    The previous bass amp was borrowed and is now gone.
    Now I'd like to have one dedicated to the studio.

I actually know nothing about bass guitars and amps (beside "Marshall" is the Marshall of BA), so just need some advice for what to buy given these conditions :

- It must not be too powerful (enough for a 20sqm/200square feet studio).
    My neighbours are walls-vibration sensitive (previous one was shaking the whole building)
    - It must be polyvalent.
    There are no recording sessions, only practicing and the bands using it are very different (experimental jazz to psychedelic rock...) so the focus is reliability, not sound quality. I 'm looking for something rock solid.
    - Budget is 250 to 350 $
    I may buy on ebay, so old models are fine.

Thanks for advising me...

AÄ_SoundStudio_March2013_small.

edit : I need a "combo" thing, like one box with both "amp" and the round stuff making the sound.

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Add a subwoofer to the PA and have the bass players plug into mixing board.

3. Innuit

Innuit

Apr 3, 2013
    Good idea,
    unfortunately the P.A is not mine and might be gone sooner or later, so i need something independant of that.

4. tmntfan

tmntfan

Oct 6, 2011
    Edmonton canada
    Fender Rumble is a place to start looking.

5. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    Are you planning on mic'ing the bass rig and/or jamming?

A head and 4x10" is kinda overkill for your space, but you can always turn a big rig down, while a small rig will have troubles keeping up if you're jamming with loud guitars and drums.

A 15" combo with a direct out might be a good option. Usually 15" combos are loud enough for most bands (not metal but...) and when mic'd would provide the "air" to a recording while it's direct out would provide the clarity.

With noise sensitive neighbors (the bass freqs tend to dominate) an RBI preamp going direct might be a good option.

6. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    A combo (amp & speaker in the same box) with 200 watts and a single 15" speaker, single 12" speaker or two 10" speakers is all you will need for a space that small and the volume limitations you mentioned.

I have always had very good luck with Carvin bass combos - they have been 100% reliable for me, they sound just fine for all rehearsal and most gig purposes, and they are very reasonably priced - at least here in the US. They are for sale new only from the Carvin factory via their showroom or their online site - there are no Carvin dealers anywhere. I don't know how available they are used in Europe, nor do I know how much shipping and taxes/duties will be.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/bassamps/microbass.php

7. Get an Ampeg B100R, you will be very happy with it.

8. Oobly

Oobly

Jun 19, 2008
  9. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Get a mixer and have everyone use IEM, or headphones.
    Your neighbors won't be bothered except the the acoustic drums

10. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

Feb 3, 2012
    S/E Michigan
    i did quite a bit of research looking for a bass amp myself and one of the finalists was trace elliot. they made several combo amps and with your location they should be fairly easy to find. it may push the budget a little but with some smart shopping you should be able to come up with a 1x15 or 2x10 combo

11. I use Carvin, but since your not in the USA I don't know about availability. Tried the GC combos and they sound great. Others swear by the TC combo. Never got a chance to try it, but it looked good quality and I did lift it and its very light.

12. Manxie

Manxie

Mar 31, 2013
    Brighton, UK
    I have a Line6 LD150 which is small (1 x 10") and has a whole heap of different sound models that ought to keep most bassists happy. It would be perfect for that sized room.

13. Hi my 2 cents would be to go for Hartke. Cheap, reliable and doesn't sound half bad. By the way, is this in Berlin, Germany?
    If so maybe I could hook you up with something.

14. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    a second hand peavy.

15. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    i wouldnt go above a 12" sized combo in that room.. plenty new and used at that price...

16. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Ampeg combo.

17. A TC electronic BG250 comes to mind, with different genres, the editable Toneprint might be an asset.

18. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    IMO, a Roland Cube 100, or the newer Cube 120XL if you could fine one, would be perfect. Good tone, reliable, and built in models and effects for experimentation. The older Roland DB combos would probably be great (and harder to steal b/c they're heavier) but I only have experience with the Cube.

19. bcouper

bcouper

Apr 11, 2013
    Johns Creek, GA
    I'm pretty happy with my Line6 LD150 also.