1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reliable Head Under $800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Texan, May 17, 2011.

1. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I think it's time to move into the modern age. The heads that I use are all over 20 years old and the age factor has me paranoid becuase of the frequency that I gig. So, I ask for the wisdom of the TB community, what is a reliable head? I use a pair of SWR Goliath 3's, so it would have to be capable of pushing those. I have considered, the Aguilar Tonehammer Head, Markbass, and Carvin. I love the HiFi sound and a nice deep bass thunder. Your opinions are appreciated.

2. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    GK 700RB-II.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    go forth and play through everything that's available to you.

4. GK 1001RB-II

5. Play 'em. Don't skip Genz-Benz. Used is good.

6. Yeah, if you're looking for hifi plus more, the Genz GBEs are super nice and can be found at that price and they're awesomely versatile heads.

I'd probably get a Peavey VB-2 if I had $800 to spend on a head, but it's not real hi-fi.

7. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    If you plan on getting new, I'd for a GK 1001RBII or their long running classic GK 800RB. Solid state ampegs are pretty reliable (although I don't care for the voice of the amps) If you were buying used, that opens up things a whole lot more, just a matter of looking for your ideal tone or sound and wait for a deal. Mesa Boogie gear if you can find it in the 800 dollar range is bulletproof.

8. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    Used Little Mark II for sure.