Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reliable small amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Sep 8, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I need a small amp head around a $1000 about 300w maybe more.

I think the only runners are:
    Eden wt300 (Is this the right number)
    Iamp
    Mesa boogie walkabout
    ampeg portabass or something
    Acoustic image Clarus

The only thing is it has to be decent quality and reliable I've heard the clarus cut out for some one.
    I will be playing in an electronic rock/ space rock band witha guitarist and keyboard player there won't be huge amps and there is pa support oh and i'll be playing a five or six string. But I live in venezuela and its very hot I need an amp that requires low to no maintence and will not over heat.

Which fits my need?

Thanks for any help, advice or gig stories you can provide.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    If you're gonna go with the Eden WT300, get the newer WT400. heard some guys have heat troubles with the older 300.

my money's on the iAMP350, tho. great little amp, that does so much.

3. Just bought a MAG250 4x10 this weekend - it is really load, clear, all the tones I'd ever want and it cost £670 in the UK - that's about $1000. They also do a 2x10 and a 15 for less. This has to be on your must tryout list. AND oyu can add an extension cab to all these. AND DI out so you could chain amps if needed in the future. The Ashdown is a very well made amp by the guy who set up Trace before they sold out to Gibson. Ashdown have to be the best made amp available in quantity in the UK.

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Yer I looked a round the net for abit and I can afford a wt400.

Let me explain the situation to you guys I'm going to america to buy a new bass and amp head I plan on carrying both on the plane with me so the amp head has to fit in one of those decent gig bags (i.e. No combo's, no normal sized heads.)

This will be my giging amp I will probably be using cabs the the venues supply may get my own but it won't be a high quality eden or berg or something, so I was thinking the Iamp because its a very clean amp so on a fuzzy muffled speaker it will sound clearer than the eden or mesa right?

Do all these amps have DI outs and are they usable di out I mean do I need to by the sansamp or countyman or something.

Thanks guys

5. Sorry TS I hadn't noticed this was a head you were looking to get. Ashdown also do the new MAG250 Head and yes it has a post EQ DI out and a line out and an effects send that can also be used as an out. Very quite as it has no fan just big heat syncs and plenty of space around the casing. Not sure of the price but must be about $650

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Ashdown would be the first amp i'd look at but there full size heads I can't carry them on a plane I need something smaller.

Oh any one with the EA Iamp is it good for plain finger style alot of people recomend it for funk and slap but I don't play much if any slap stuff.

Thanks

7. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    The iAmp is a great little amp. I play all styles of music and it is well suited for all. that's whats great about Euphonic Audio gear...what ever you put in is what you get out. What ever tones you want it is all there. Also, the eq section has selectable frequency ranges that overlap which is great cuz you can dial inany sound you want.

I am using the iAmp 350 with the demeter BSC-310 cab....this set up is just amazing. I have finaly found what i was looking for in a setup.

good luck with your search

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Bet that does work well. I always liked the iAmp600 driving my Epifani T-212. EA's have a nice, un-colored sound and that built-in tuner is a real convenience that saves a rack space. I still have mine as a stand-by. My only complaint about EA amps in general is very simple: not enough headroom.

9. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    Peavey Combo 1x15... 200 watts alone....300 with ext. cab... or.... carvin has this like.... 600w 1x15/2x8 riggamabob for about 800

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You've got $1,000? You'd be a fool not to go see Gard and get a WT-550, if they're available by then. Same size as the WT-300, twice as much power. Weighs in at 18 pounds (vs. 13 for the 300). Gard'll fix you right up for less than a $K.

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Hmm thats a good idea but I don't live in america i'm only going to buy this stuff on holiday so I don't think I could get it from Gard unless he's where ever I end up going.

Any one got any experiance with the ampeg portabass 250 does it have a DI out? I'm thinking solid states would be better for the music it would cut through better opinions?

I only need it to be powerful enough for a small club of about 100 people all other times I will have a P.A so I'll use the amp as a monitor.

I really like the looks and controls of the Iamp but am a bit worried about what people are asying about headroom I'll be playing a 6 or 5 string and I don't want it to start clipping.

12. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Oh I should of asked about the eden tone can you get a super clean tone out of it something that cuts through a mix really well.

Munjibunga whats the DI out like on eden stuff is it good enough to use on its own?

Thanks in advance.

13. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I currently own an iAMP350, an Acoustic Image Contra (the combo with the Clarus head in it), and previously owned an Eden WT400. I play finger style pop/rock/jazz bass on an old P bass and a lot of jazz on standup bass with a Schertler pickup. I'm faced with the same issues. If it was me, I'd buy one of the new Clarus amps (discounted in the low $700's) because they are LIGHT!!! (only 6 pounds) and have plenty of power for most gigs with one speaker and tons of power with a second speaker added. They are also incredibly clean and HiFi--I think they are quickly becoming what Walter Woods used to be. I didn't like the Eden WT400 because it weighed around 15 pounds and the sound was too colored for me. The iAMP350 is a great amp as well, but I've found the AI stuff to be a little cleaner and again, the iAMP350 weights around 15 pounds. The weight issue is not to be discounted. If you are thinking about cabinets as well, I would buy two of the 4-ohm Acme LowB1 cabinets and couple them to the Clarus. This would be an incredibly light and very affordable rig to boot.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I use the DI into the PA outdoors, sounds bitchen to me. I think the newer ones have been improved, so they might be suitable for recording. Never heard any complaints about the Eden DI. OK, maybe one.