1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reliable/toneful power amp to pair with a Sansamp RBI?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by p-ripper, Jul 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. p-ripper

p-ripper

Jan 11, 2018
    Hey folks, I know there's a few threads on this already but I wanted to get some more current opinions. I just picked up a Sansamp RBI and am looking for some power amp advice. It's going to be played through a Mesa Powerhouse cab with the 4x10s and 1x15. Fender P-Bass, picked, for a kinda simple SVTish punk-rock tone. The most important part; it needs to be INEXPENSIVE! I've seen plenty of decent Carvin and Crown power amps in the $200 range so I'm hoping that's a possibility. I saw a Carvin DCM1000 for $130 that I should've grabbed but someone beat me to it. Something with that amount of power and reliability on the cheap would be wonderful! What do y'all think? Thanks so much!

2. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    Used crown xls1000 or xls1500 or used qsc gx3 or (my favorite) gx5! :thumbsup:

John Swartz and p-ripper like this.
  3. Stick with Crown.

p-ripper likes this.
  4. p-ripper

p-ripper

Jan 11, 2018
    What do we think of the Crown XTI-1000? Did those come out before or after the XLS's ?

5. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I like the crest pro lite 2.0. It's plenty of power for what I need, and works well with the RBI.

image.

image.

Arthur U. Poon and p-ripper like this.
  6. p-ripper

p-ripper

Jan 11, 2018
    Alright these are pretty much my options:

Crown XLS 1000
    Crown XTI 1000
    Crown XLS 1002

QSC RMX 1450

The XLS 1000 is the cheapest and there's also one locally. Could someone weigh in on these options and also tell me the difference between the XLS 1000 and the XTI 1000? Remember this is to power the RBI into that giant Mesa 4x10/1x15 cab and played at gig volume. Thanks!

7. Crown XLS has a fixed highpass 50hz.

The XTI has a whole suite of programming EQ including variable highpass and limiters. You would probably benefit from the ability to select multiple ''scenes'' which could have different EQ for different venues. The actual programming takes plugging in with a PC so not really suited to on the fly but you could save ''Dubby'' ''Regular'' ''Boom Cut'' ''Moar Mids'' ''Even Moar Mids'' etc etc and do the rest of the tweaking on the RBI. You can't switch them on the fly but between tunes could be done at a pinch.

I think you get an actual 1000w from the XTI bridged onto 4 ohm. You might want the limiter on too.

p-ripper likes this.
  8. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    GX5 comes in a lot of starter PA and DJ packages.
    I got mine cheap, under $150 for something newish and barely used isn't unusual.
    It doesn't have much in the way of features, but all I wanted it to do was power cabs with a variety of preamps.

p-ripper likes this.
  9. p-ripper

p-ripper

Jan 11, 2018
    Is that a huge downside to the XLS?
    As for the XTI, is it not really a plug-and-play thing then? Or is the advanced EQ the only thing a PC is required for?

QSC GX5? I can't seem to find one for less than $260 right now. The other options I've listed cost less. Maybe the GX5 is worth the extra coin though??

10. A fixed 50hz highpass is better than no highpass.

The XTI advanced functions need the PC to set up and save. You download the control panel widget thing from Harmon. It's pretty self explaining even for old no nothing like me. After that you recall the presets via the amp buttons but they take a few seconds to boot up a different one.

I don't know anything about GX5.

p-ripper likes this.
  11. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Maybe wait a couple months for boat party summer jam time to end.

People tend to reorganize their priorities after failing at a hobby, then holidays come around.

walterw likes this.
  12. p-ripper

p-ripper

Jan 11, 2018
    Alright I picked up a Crown XLS1000! Found one locally for a good deal so I couldn't pass it up. Thanks again everyone for their 2 cents. Now, I need to learn how to use this freakin' thing! It's gonna be the RBI > Crown > Mesa PH 1000. I don't know about bridging, crossover mode, highpass/lowpass, really any of that. If someone could look at these pics and say "Plug this into that and that into there" as well as a recommended setting for the crown that would be greatly appreciated. I essentially want as much power as possible without blowing anything up. This will be used for gigs. Thanks for the help (and patience)!

RBI
    [​IMG]

Crown
    [​IMG]

Mesa Cab
    [​IMG]

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  13. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    bass into front of RBI

"sansamp" 1/4" output to power amp ("sansamp" XLR output to PA). try "blend" all the way up and "drive" backed off to like 9:00 to start with, that's your basic grindy rock sansamp tone.

power amp in "bridge" mode, which means you use either a banana plug cable hooked to both red posts or you mod a speakon cable for the amp side to be +1, +2 instead of the normal +1,-1

go easy on the cab, that design is an acknowledged failure from boogie; the mixed speaker thing is not great and the 15 blows all the time.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    p-ripper and Downunderwonder like this.
  14. Your bridge cable mod end goes in the Ch1 output.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    p-ripper likes this.
  15. p-ripper

p-ripper

Jan 11, 2018
  16. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    p-ripper likes this.
  17. p-ripper

p-ripper

Jan 11, 2018
    Like this?

[​IMG]

18. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Wait a minute, it's not an acknowledged failure. It's fine when run reasonably, but when somebody tries to stuff a thousand watts plus into without the benefit of a highpass filter and good common sense, or has unrealistic expectations, it's not the best match.

For example, used with a Subway, Walkabout or M6, there won't be any issues with just a little bit of common sense.

19. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    not sure the OP will know where the "common sense" button on that 1100w power amp is :)

agedhorse likes this.
  20. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The reason I mentioned it.

walterw likes this.