1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Relic job vs. actual natural wear and tear

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Socalef9, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Socalef9

Socalef9

May 16, 2009
    So i just wanted to put this into one thread. for people that actually like the look of road worn or relec'd basses, how can one tell if its actually been put through hell but from use over the years from one that has had a sander taken to it and skidded it across the street?

2. if its done properly you cant tell the difference

3. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I like the look of a aged basses, those with natural finish or with paint slightly discoloring like white turning yellow like on some fender basses... check out this 77 jazz i used to have a while back... got it from bass teacher for a good price... sold it on TB... should have kept it. but i already had a jazz in better shape and just as good... my ibanez lawsuit...

DSCN1660.

4. ryanrex

ryanrex

May 26, 2008
    Relic jobs just don't have the mojo an old beat up bass has. The new Fender Road worns I've played seem kinda fake compared to an actual old school bass... maybe in a blind test I couldn't tell. but they just don't have it for me.

5. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Judging from what i hear about the Roadworns, they aren't exactly good relics. There are a few TB members here who can do a relic job so convincing that their basses probably cannot be told apart from a real one. (Nitro finishing, aged hardware, not products of belt sanders, that sort of thing)

6. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    As the owner of a genuine, old and worn Fender, I'll rate the new Road Worns at "pretty good". Certainly a LOT better than some I've seen visually .

As far as tone and playability, they are EXTREEMLY GOOD +. I'm not a huge fan of artificial wear, BUT the Road Worns are VERY good basses. I'd have NO PROBLEM rocking one of them, and I own the "genuine article". ;)

7. Prime BASS

Prime BASS

Oct 15, 2009
    It's like buying jeans that have already been ripped.....

theres just no point, buy a new one enjoy it while it's fresh then once it's old you can enjoy it when it's old.

Am I wrong, anyone agree?

8. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Apparently some people missed this part in the original post. ;)

9. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Not taking any sides, but it is funny how 'new' the Fender Road worns feel! Fender obviously need a 'smokey bar room' at the Fender factory to impart real Road Worn mojo!

10. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    The necks on the Road Worn Fender basses I have played were so good (required IMO), that I wished I could have just bought the neck.

11. Prime BASS

Prime BASS

Oct 15, 2009
    I'm not saying i don't like the road worn/relic look, i just don't see the point in spending top dollar on on that already been done, if you buy new ,or one thats new but not "road worn" , then get best of both worlds just the road worn-ness is something you have to wait for.

12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

I don't own the "genuine article", but have played several. Having said that, I agree with what you say about the Fender RW's---they are VERY nice playing/sounding/feeling basses, IMO. I seriously considered buying the jazz that my local dealer has in stock now (and still might, if I ever get caught up from buying PA gear.....).

13. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Nope, gotta disagree. Just plain not true.

A "new" Standard Fender, be it MIA or MIM, isn't the same bass as a Road Worn.

Different animals.

14. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    As for the OP, if it is done right, it is incredibly tough to tell. Companies like GVCG, Revelator, etc are making instruments that could fool all but the most hardcore of vintage guys.

As for the rest of it, well...please reference this video -

15. 6pack Jon

6pack Jon

Jul 6, 2006
    Queens, NY
    For those who talk the talk about natural wear and tear.... I have to ask about the "poly" finishes?

16. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    They will wear, they just wear different. I had an early 80's G&L SB-2 that had worn through the paint in a few spots, and a few 70's vintage Fenders that checked like crazy. Finishes will eventually wear off the necks as well. Usually the bottom edge first.

It just takes A LOT more time, sweat, friction etc. to wear through a poly finish. When they "checker" , it also will look different.

17. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Yeah - I just don't get the whole relicing idea. When I get another bass, the first thing I do is try to restore it look as new as possible, and then keep it that way. I sure don't take a sander and sledgehammer to my new car to make it look "roadworn".

To my eyes, old, beat-up instruments look just that - old and beat-up, carelessly used and disrespectfully abused. This is not a badge of honor to me.

Just my 2 cents!

18. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I get the idea - old "broken in" instruments do have something about them. I'm not prepared to have it done to my basses, though. I'll just buy used and play them for a long time. My 1985 (or 1986) Tokia P-Bass is coming along nicely.

KO

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga