1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

relic look a different way?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SwitchGear, Jun 3, 2007.

1. SwitchGear

SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Sunny Beach
    I searched the threads on this angle at relicing but didnt find it talked about so here it goes..

I have a 60's Classic Jazz bass in 3TS. I would like a relic finish to occur naturally but with it's poly finish that will take many moons.

So, I was thinking of doing a Oly White nitro refin over the poly. When the nitro eventually wears through the old sunburst (sanded) finish will show through, giving it the factory paint over finish affect.

Anyone do this and anyone care to comment?

Thanks much..

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Hmmmnn....

The paint-over thing was quite rare. I've only ever seen one, and it was a P-bass with black over a botched 3 tone-sunburst. I'm not really sure what the botch was either.

In any case, IMHO you are much better off getting/doing a good quality nitro refin. This can be relic'd as you choose, either by refin folks or DIY.

However you get there, I believe you will probably get a much better result than with the paint-over plan. BTW, have you see TBer Ibanezcollector's posts on relic'ing? A seach will guide you...

You CAN relic Poly, btw....but don't ask ME how, ask some of the DIY relic artists here on TB, or maybe even Ebay. :D :D :D

3. SwitchGear

SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Sunny Beach
    Yea, I have seen his thread. Relicing a poly finish would be too much (time) for me.

Thanks

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021