1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Relic or Genuine?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jamersonburton, Jan 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    Have a chance to grab this 2005 Highway 1 Precision. However, it seems have a lot of wear for an 11 year old bass even though it's an acrylic or nitro finish (i think pre-2006 was acrylic). What do you think? Does it look like genuine wear and tear or is it a fake relic? *the volume knob has been replaced apparently

The reason I ask is because of the whiteness of the finish - on the front under the strings by the bridge, and on the back.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

That looks like added wear to me. I may be wrong but I don't think Fender does scratches as part of their relic package.

3. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Looks like buckle rash to me. I don't know what the white stuff is, but if you are going to do a fake, why would you just do the fake mostly on the back?

4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    My vote is natural wear. Most fake relics are way way overdone

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I vote mostly fake. I bet some of it is original but some of those scratches on the back look like they were deliberate.

The "whiteness" of the finish on the front looks like a combination of sweat and maybe polishing the other areas.
    On the back looks to be just the lighting on the lower left. The scratches in the lower middle are what I think are fake, along with the X's

6. mp40smg

mp40smg Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    to me.. It looks like they cleaned the bass prior to taking picks but did not run the rag under the strings. And on the back.That looks like completely normal wear to me of somebody that wears a motorcycle jacket and a rodeo belt buckle.

So I suppose if you asked what kind of band they were in the answer may give you the answers. If it's country band or a Ramones thing, you have your answer.

7. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Looks normal to me. I have never seen anyone only relic the back of a bass before. It's just buckle rash.

Jim Carr and M.R. Ogle like this.
  8. Christopher DBG

Christopher DBG Commercial User

May 18, 2015
    Westerly, RI
    Luthier/Owner, Christopher Bass Guitar
    Sure, back in the 70's, but who wears a belt buckle that could do that kind of damage anymore?

MoonChild2112 and Miker27607 like this.
  9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If it was a relic, odds are you would see most of it from the front (or what bother to do a cosmetic relic?). Someone likes big belt buckles, or studs on their belt.

10. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    My bass is 28 years old this year and has less wear than that. I'm voting artificial relic, plus some wear-n-tear

11. mp40smg

mp40smg Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    I would point to the OP's Avatar.. That I just noticed.
    Perfect example of how this happened. And I still see plenty of punk and biker type bands playing while wearing the jackets..

jamersonburton likes this.
  12. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Fake relicing the back of a bass? Get real people.

Terracite, Templar and Jim Carr like this.
  13. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

My Precision has wear in exactly the same place on the back from when I used a long strap. Strap is shorter now, because the long strap doesn't work with Fender ergos. So, there are now two nasty looking places on the back. It's from the rivets Levis puts in jeans pockets. Swing the bass around to the side and that's what you get. You don't even need a bunch of spiky stuff to make a mess of you instrument like that. Plus it's a Fender. If you don't abuse a Fender, you are doing it wrong.

14. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast.

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I have a 2004 Hwy 1 Strat that is my main guitar and it has similar wear. I've played it on countless gigs and the finish wears easily.

Waltsdog likes this.
  15. The wear I see on the back, and the filth under the strings looks genuine. I'd be embarrassed to leave my instruments in such a poor state of repair.

My 2011 American Special started to accumulate scratches on the back of the body in the same places (only a bit more towards the middle) as the OP's pics. It was indeed my belt buckle that was causing the damage. And, it's not a Chevy hub cap by any means.

I polished the back to feather out the scratches and now wear the bass a bit more towards my right hip. Akin to carrying a rifle at the ready.

16. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I vote poorly handled bass. I've had bases for over 30 years with no real buckle rash. Offer less than if it were in good condition. If you even want it (I don't).

17. dukeandrews

dukeandrews Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2014
    That looks real, just abused. Even if it is fake, it doesn't matter. I have a 2006 hwy one P and it has a killer neck. Unless it's a steal, offer him less because of the condition.

18. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    My Jazz Bass looks way worse than that, but it's real road wear. The headstock is rough too. I don't know if anyone relics a headstock. I bet if its mint up there, the wear is fake, but it looks about right to me for a bass that has gigged a lot

19. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Been to Texas?

20. Jayhawk

Jayhawk

Sep 6, 2006
    Kansas City
    Looks like legit wear and tear to me. I don't see why anyone would add fake wear in the areas that are worn on this bass.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021