Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Relic" versus the English language

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Zerozeddy, Feb 10, 2006.

1. I've been playing, buying and generally looking at basses for 20 years, but it's only in the last couple of months I've come across the concept of "relicing". Don't get me wrong, I can understand people wanting their instruments to look tatty and battered (although I don't understand why they don't want to do it through simple prolonged usage, which IS cool).

Anyway, my gripe is with the word.

Relic is a noun, my friends, not a verb. You could make a guitar into a relic, make it look like a relic, but you certainly can't relic it. You'll be telling me next you can "leverage" something instead of simply levering it - or heaven forfend - USING it.

Were I presented with the word "relicing" I'd presume the writer meant "applying lice again", and I sure as hell don't want to do that to my bass. I'd rather not lice it in the first place.

But (and yes, you ARE allowed to start a sentence with a conjunction) if you really really must insist on it, when using a past or present participle, please spell it with a K so it at least follows the rules suggested by "panicked" or "panicking".

I am a professional grammarian and you must obey me.

2. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    +1

3. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Huh, I've always seen it spelled re-licking. (a complete lie, I've never seen it spelled that way)

It was a mini trend this year at NAMM which means I saw at least 2 of them. It's not something that resonates with my sense of aesthetics.

Did you see the re-licked Fodera's?

4. +1
    yeah, from your spelling it confirms my suspicion that proper use of the english language has no place on the internet.:meh:

5. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Thank you. I am cancelling my plan to relic my bass. Instead, I'm going to s**tify it.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I disagree.

just as "antique" when made into a process became "antiquing", "Relic" has become a process in guitar finishing.

Language is an ever evolving thing.... you can't just draw a line and claim it cannot change from here.

7. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Can't we just use the word age, or aging? I mean, not only is it considerably easier to type, but aging is a word. I hope.

Lets look at some examples of what happens when you replace relic with age, or aging. We'll use Steve, and Timmy for good measure. Steve has a brand new Jazz, and he is very fond of the battered look, ala pastorius.
    S: "Yo Timmy, check it out, I'm going to relic my bass"
    T: "Dude, you can do whatever you want to your bass. Just dont lick me, man."

Lets replace "relic" with "age". I might even through a faux in there.

S: "Yo Timmy, check it out, I'm going to faux age my bass!"
    T: "Faux age? How would you do that?"
    S: "I'll strike it with a belt buckle, and drill screw holes into it, and remove finish by sanding it off. It'll be way cool man."
    T: "Whatever floats your boat."

Ahem. I believe thats some solid proof.

Down with relic all together.

8. I was going to post a similar sentiment.

Mike

9. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    +2

Conventional term outside electric guitars & basses is "distressing," which I've never really liked as it seems to imply more than just cosmetic wear and doesn't capture the value attached to the sort of wear & tear that comes with player usage.

But if "relicing" distresses you, feel free to use "distressing" instead.

10. JoshB

JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE Supporting Member

My thoughts exactly.

11. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Better be quick then. With the language "evolving" at the current rate, if you wait too long you could well be almost incomprehensible to some of the people who contribute what passes for English nowadays around here. ;)

12. I have seen the word 'relicing' and 'reliced' many times before but I just realised what the words mean after reading the first post...

..and I agree with the professional grammarian.

13. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    Am I on talk bass? For a minute I thought I stumbled on to old gray haired English teacher talk:D .

As far as the INTERNET goes and America in general you will find many different terms/slang used depending where you are at.I usually know what people are talking about no matter how they say it. Remember this is a large country.As far as the rest of the world you have no excuse. Well, yous people have great day, I be goin' to work now,my boss likes to work the hell outa me.

14. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    as long as I can clearly understand what someone means, I don't care whether some English dude with letters after his name says it's correct

if there's a better word to mean 'the process of making a bass look like it's a very old and used one' than 'relicing' then I haven't heard it

Bill Bryson's 'Made In America' is a fascinating read.. it's all about the history of language in the USA, and one of the more striking features is how happy Americans were to adapt and invent words as functionally required, with little regard for what pompous English people thought about the matter

15. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    To quote Calvin (as in Calvin & Hobbes Calvin) "Verbing weirds language."

If it's good enough for Calvin, it's good enough for me.

-Nate

16. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Modern english seems to be moving towards permitting EVERYTHING to act as a verb. Oh Joy!

17. You guys know this is all said and done tongue-in-cheek right..

18. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    There, we've settled that; right here on TalkBass!:bassist:

19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

+1

But for ease of comprehension I usually use it like this:

Relic'ing or relic-ing

20. I love using noun's as verbs.

As in:

"Splendid Afternoon Jim"
    "mmm... yes"
    "I can't help but notice how hot your wife is. I think I'd like to see her in a bathing suit. Tell me Jim - where do you summer?"
    "We often summer in the Hamptons. And yes she is rather striking in a bathing suit. Her birthday suit however takes the cake."