1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Relic'ed Road Cases. Where to buy?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by barebones, Sep 16, 2008.

1. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I'm sorry. This thought just occurred while searching online for a slip cover for my newly acquired Carvin BRX212.

So ridiculously funny. To me at least.

I used to have a newish road case for a 2x10 cab, and I played a gig where the bass player in the other band came up to me and said, "Damn, man! That thing's too clean! We gotta bang it up some!"

There's probably someone out there offering such a thing...

2. barebones

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    And, no, I'm not really looking for one. You might be, though!

3. doktersprode

doktersprode

Jul 1, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Do it the old fashioned way.

Or drag it behind a car doing 80.

:bag:

4. barebones

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO

I agree. But put a bunch of new stickers on the case first, so that they get all marked up and torn during the dragging as well.

5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I know you're kidding, but out there, somewhere, some idiot saw this thread and, just for a brief second, thought that his dreams of a "relic'd" road case had come to life!!!!!

6. barebones

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO

I know! That's why it cracks me up so much!

7. Joel S.

Joel S. Reserved for future witty use...

Jul 9, 2008
    I saw this thread and thought "great, some idiot wants a relic'd road case." :p

8. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Hillarious! On a related note, I keep my homebrew j-bass in an old brown tolex fender-style, Ibanez case that was probably originally from the Roadstar series. It cost me a dollar, is beat to heck, and one of it's latches is a home repair, but I have actually seen the "ooh what's in there" look on folks when I take it places!

9. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    If anyone wants to trade my "relicd" road case for their new one, pm me plz... ;)

10. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    lol me too! :D

11. Hahah! My exact thought.

12. barebones

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I'll bet some idiot does!

13. OtterOnBass

OtterOnBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    What's so idiotic about it? It's a matter of style, not brains. Do you like Jeans that are straight legged and solid blue, or shaped and faded? Selling cases with evidence of life on them isn't a bad idea if you're looking to jump on the fashion trend of relic-ing.

14. Because it makes as much sense as relic'ing a car. That is, it could affect the integrity and performance.

Of course, I didn't know it was fashionable to be touting around old, beat up stuff, 'cause I have a bunch of stuff in the basement that may be of interest.

15. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Let me take the case on a couple of sound gigs next summer. It'll come back with so much "character" you won't believe your eyes. :D

-Mark

16. barebones

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO

I think we just found a buyer!

17. HA! Maybe we could get a business going here? jackedupbutcoolbasscase.com... "Trade your shiny new case for our old junk" :D

18. Oric

Oric

Feb 19, 2008
    Georgetown, Kentucky
    You wanna see a reliced road case, you should see the flight cases we used for our old sousaphones in Kentucky's marching band. Those things have been everywhere and back (we had had those sousaphones since the last time Kentucky was good at football). I think they've got new ones now, I'm not marching this year, so I don't really know.

Heck, I could start a business, relicing cases for teenagers. Can't be too hard, I can charge reasonable rates. I've got hammers, a car, sandpaper... everything you need!

19. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    I've got an older double bass trunk.

20. barebones

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO

Those sousaphone cases sound like my old trumpet case... The one I used to chuck over the fence before climbing over myself to evade the neighborhood bullies while walking home from school. Amazing that old horn survived!