1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Relicing a Relic (1965 L-Series Precision)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mindwell, Mar 28, 2015.

1. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    I've been following another thread in the Basses forum, and the 'to relic/not to relic, that is the question' controversy rages on and on. Meanwhile, I've had this refinished L-Series '65 for eleven years, and in all that time, I haven't been able to as much as put a mark on its impervious polyester candy carapace.

IMG_6205_zps45bd3b45.

Looks ridiculous when seen against the gorgeous, for-real neck wear. Like a comb over. Or a bad toupee.

IMG_6245_zps92ca608b.

Eventually, I *will* pony up for the full restore back to the original Dakota Red in nitro. But until then, on the cheap, what to do for a makeover?

And then I remembered that when I bought her, she'd had a sticker removed from the front, which had stripped away the clear coat. I tore a strip of packing tape, stuck it on the front, and brazilian-waxed it. The tape came away with flakes of metallic blue stuck to it, freeing the LPB of the now-greenish poly. BINGO.

DSCN1437_zpso7yf9sto.

You can see the stripped section here on the upper horn surrounded by poly. The blue now pops more readily and I find the rougher texture pleasing.

There's an unappealing greenish tint that has crept into the poly, and taking it off really freshens things up. Finish cracking also comes through more visibly. That's a plus!

DSCN1434_zps3i8yrpay.

I haven't liked this LPB very much at all. With the poly gone, the metallic coat seems more in line with the usual look of this finish.

DSCN1441_zpsfshzlxbn.

It's taken me not quite half a roll of shipping tape to get this far. I'll keep going and if I can find some stickier tape, I'll use it. But I really like how the bass is coming out, and my plan is to ditch the replacement guard and pony up for a Spitfire tortoiseshell. I think it'll be awesome.

DSCN1438_zpsfkvpfwep.

It goes without saying, of course, that I would never do this to an original finish on a bass of this vintage. But for now, until I do the whole deal, I am excited for her to exhibit at least a bit of the mojo she's acquired over the years. There's a nice white undercoat beneath the LPB, and with the poly out of the way, I have a better chance of wearing my way down to it.

All in all, I'm very pleased. This seems a nice way to initiate the process of wear and personalization. I've toyed with the idea of selling her, but once she's through this process and dressed-out with a good guard, I think it'll be like having a whole new (old) bass. I'm excited for her to look closer to her age, if not her original finish.

JIO, pacojas, nuhckes8 and 1 other person like this.
  2. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    BTW - the greenish discoloration is what lacquered LPB does when it ages. Really old LPBs often look like Ocean Turquoise.

TomB and BurningSkies like this.
  3. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    I had a '57 reissue once that I thought was Sherwood Green. Eventually found out it was LPB. If this one looked like that one did, I wouldn't have touched it.

BurningSkies likes this.
  4. Looks fun. I get that you are wanting to approximate it's age more accurately and all so maybe it's a non issue but the LPB metallic part will go really flat really fast as metallics are porous surfaces, hence the clear to seal it and provide a shiney surface. You might toy with the notion of a VERY thin clear coat to allow you to wear through, etc to seal it, lest it will pick up all kinds of crap in the flat, porous finish like smearing poop on a blackboard. Just a thought. I love that bass though and short of lighting it on fire, can't think of much you could do to make it unappealing:thumbsup:. Have fun with it.

mindwell likes this.
  5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Kmrumedy likes this.
  6. The hardware gives them away...guitars look trashed but hardware looks pretty much new.

7. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    He does finishes.

8. Put tape all over it and leave it in the sun on a hot day then take it off.

9. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Another vote for Mark Jenny to do work on your original pre CBS. In addition to their amazing work their customer service is the best I have ever experienced. They have done two instruments for me now. Including my 1960 slab board Pbass that someone painted with house paint and then left it in the closet for 30 + years. The restore they did for me was astounding and cost me less than half of what others charge on here. I wanted a finish to represent what the bass would have looked like if it had been played often but well care for 50+ years. A mild natural wear not a heavy fake relic. They nailed it. Lots of collectors send their instruments to them. Here are some mock up pictures I got as the work was being done.

image1_zpsc0f8d3c2.

image4_zps7af63b71.

image5_zpsbc48ed4f.

image3_zps0ffc119d.

mindwell likes this.
  10. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    Very nice. Is that original guard or a repro?

When I get to the phase in which I pony up a bunch of money for a refin back to the original Dakota Red, that's the kind of result I'd like to see. I'm assuming Mark Jenny did the refinishing as well as the relicing? John K's work is what I've mostly been ogling here on TB. Good to know there's a couple of options.

Here's the original color, btw. Totally worth wiping the slate clean and getting back to it. But until then, I'll pick and strip away. IMG_6247_zps2d81dafa.

11. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Mark is known more in guitar circles than bass circles and particularly on the Telecaster side of the divide. He did a project for me way back in 2000 or so, when he was doing it as a hobby/side job out of his basement. I built a 1963 telecaster with help of USA Custom Guitars. It had a few tweaks to my liking, but was intended to look like a legit 63, and Mark did an awesome job of figuring out what I was going for. His work has come a long way although even then it was great. He did aged Ice Blue Metallic for mine, and also did the neck finishing.

And yes, the hardware in these pics is too 'bright' it was when we were rough fitting and assembling and before I aged the hardware (lots of fun use of dangerous caustics in my kitchen for that)...

And how good a job was it when done? I've had 'real 1963' money offered to buy it from guys who are long time players and who have owned/own vintage gear. If you look closely in the right places you know it's not legit...which is what I intended (That's a 50's decal not a 60's, Clay dots, but slab Brazilian RW, it has the 50's superlight swamp ash instead of alder, etc). The finishing is the most convincing part.

14757063351_c6a2459143_c.

14573791097_4c8a7d3287_o.

14757894044_2c9e6ddbd0_o.

14737240866_23fdec83e4_o.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pacojas likes this.
  12. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    That is gorgeous. Love the color.

BurningSkies likes this.
  13. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Man I could have started this thread. I have a 1963 refinished LPB bass that was a unprofessional refin. The refin shows some wear and I think they intentionally left one spot unfinished where the wood has been worn down from playing. I have been thinking about refinishing my refin just like you. (I think LPB is the original color on this bass, but I am really tempted to go with Sonic blue or sea foam green.)

photo3-1.

photo2-1.

photo1-1.

mindwell and God's Favorite Bass like this.
  14. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Pick guard and everything on bass is original other than some missing screw on the pick guard was replaced. The bass was already chemically stripped before it was sent to Mark Jenny. I needed to retain the original neck and body markings as they are penciled in. Sanding would have been too risky. I contacted both John and Mark Jenny. John does beautiful work on straight refinishing but I didn't find his aging skills to be as strong as Mark Jenny. I think John quoted me $1100. Mark Jenny cost me $450.

Here is how it was sent. It was covered in house paint. Tried to salvage the original finish but it was impossible. Lost the original logo too.

image_zps68ec82dc.

image_zpsf5397349.

image_zps1cea9a3b.

Pissed that I couldn't keep the original logo. You can see the " ghost " of it here.

image_zps7d441698.

mindwell likes this.
  15. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    What's going on with the way the neck sits in the pocket? It looks like the area under the 20th fret is pushed further in than the 17th fret, as if the bottom of the neck is thinner than the rest of it. The wood visible under the fingerboard is normally parallel to the top of the body, right?
    af194%2Fmindwelly%2F1965%2520Fender%2520Precision%2520Bass--LPB%2520Refin%2FDSCN1437_zpso7yf9sto.

16. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    What you're seeing is the pickguard pulling up and meeting the rosewood at the edge of the board. The neck itself is flush with the pocket.

Tbone76 likes this.
  17. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    That makes sense. I was concerned for your bass.

mindwell likes this.
  18. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i don't blame you, mindwell. i am anti-refin!

19. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    UPDATE: got a second-hand Spitfire guard. My God, is it gorgeous.

DSCN1537_zpsiircd38z.

DSCN1524_zpsh9glupqo.