1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

relicing in order to make a low end bass look better.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thump_dumpster, Oct 3, 2009.

1. thump_dumpster

thump_dumpster

Aug 11, 2009
    Denton, tx
    so i got this blue squier bass from a guy for next to nothing and it looked like it had been drug across a highway twice.

refinished the neck and headstock.

sanded the whole body to get a matte finish.

used a piece of angled aluminum stock to scrape away some of the paint where it was already scraped or dinged.

painted the pickguard matte black just until i can get a real replacement pickguard, it was white.

either way. what do you think?

and BTW all the electronics are shot... well.. the pickup works, but the pots dont.

S7300715.

S7300717.

2. I think it looks pretty good. IMHO, you shoulda stickered it up.

3. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    I would get a cheap can of white paint and spray it over the blue and then relic that to , so it has white going to blue and the wood, just because a white P and black guard all beat up looks very punk.

I like it as is tho , cool job i have one of those bodies on my current parts bass build.

4. +1 LCW That would be very cool.

5. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Just repaint the whole thing.

6. thump_dumpster

thump_dumpster

Aug 11, 2009
    Denton, tx
    savit, i just dont have the money to go a ton of sandpaper, some decent paint that i would like (i.e. green with a lot of metallic flake in it, or sonic blue)

as far as pickguards go, i kinda wanna get some kind of huge PCB with components still on it minus like capicitors and the like, and epoxy over it to make the top smooth and make a pickguard from that.

7. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Take your time with a cheap rattle can of spray paint and it would do wonders for that bass. What you have there looks terribly unnatural and fake. To me nothing looks worse than fake wear, unless it's done by someone REALLY good. Ibanezcollector does a great job, but his services aren't cheap.

Unscrew the neck. Take off the pickguard and hardware, and give it some hardware store rattle can love. That's what I would do.

Looks like you did a nice job with the headstock.

8. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I agree with the above. [EDIT] At very least, I would do more sanding, get rid of some more blue along the edges and add "dings" & such elsewhere. [/EDIT]

I'd be tempted to take the body down to bare wood and give it a thin clear coat. (PO did that to my vintage P-bass and even though he did a terrible job, it's still one of my favorites.)

Or turn it in to an art project and go nuts on it. (Like Jackson Pollock nuts!!) I did that after a botched shielding attempt on one of my first basses and it turned out way cooler than stock.

If you seriously can't afford some sand paper and/or a rattle can, you might want to just trade this project for food.

9. I do think you should put a black guard on it and paint it white, then do a relic job over that.

10. thump_dumpster

thump_dumpster

Aug 11, 2009
    Denton, tx
    i'm thinking i just might go with the white idea. just gotta wait for payday. then i can get some of that uber abrasive sandpaper.

or hell.... get sandpaper, go to work, and use the same stain'poly that i used for the neckand headstock on the body.

iunno, we'll find out friday.

11. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    The wear spots look to concentrated IMO. Not a bad start, but take a look at old basses that have a lot of wear...you'll see more checking and more random flaking, but I think its a good start.

+1 to the white coat idea too. rattle can spray should chip off rather easy after you put it on, so that should help with the randomness of the wear marks.

12. Just throw it in the dumpster...

13. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Old joke:

Q: What's the definition of perfect pitch?

A: Throwing a (insert name of instrument here) into the dumpster without hitting the sides.

;)