1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Relicing" Your Bass - Just Stop It Already

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by TNCreature, Dec 7, 2011.

"Relicing" Your Bass

Poll closed Dec 28, 2011.
  1. No Way

136 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. Yes Way

27 vote(s)
    12.2%
  3. ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz..........

58 vote(s)
    26.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Relicing =
    624089B6.

Jeans get worn in by wearing them. Basses get worn in by playing them.
    :rollno:

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    [DEVIL'S ADVOCATE MODE]

Do you only buy "brand new" jeans that look like this?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0LjfVXe9TIh_3ibINS8B_2kE69vVD5WktlpBtdfGZzKWgNeTYmMbZfsYq.

3. I agree, basses get worn by using them. I know the Fender Road Worns are good basses, but the road worn look is just too phoney to me. Plus each little knick or scratch over the years of use tells a story. At least for me and my bass.

4. TNCreature

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    P.S. Keep in mind that I started this in the Humor section, so please don't take my opinion too seriously. I thought it could be something to have fun with.

5. TNCreature

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    ONLY Huskies toughskins "dungarees" (remember when they were called that?) where the denimn is so stiff that it is like wearing stove pipes on my legs. They chaff your skin and the blue dye stains your legs. AND THAT'S HOW I LIKE MY BASSES AS WELL! ;)

Hmm.. what WOULD be the bass equivalent of that?

6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Meh, to each their own.

7. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

I am old enough to remember when that was the only way you could purchase a pair of "dungarees". They would stand up by themselves until they were washed a few dozen times...and that was in a "wringer" washer and hung on the line to dry!

8. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South
    I have a '62 RI Jazz that I bought in 1989 as an 'appliance' when my beloved '72 precision was stolen. I really didn't care about it much, gigged with it several years...
    Now I wish I had been more careful...'relicing' is just not taking good care of one IME. There is a 196? Jazz for sale on here somewhere that just has a few nicks..thats how a good instrument should be handled.

9. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    wow,.. those relic'd jeans look hawt!!! ;)

btw, i don't mind a relic'd bass that plays awesome and i'd buy it in a heart beat. the CS '64 Heavy Relic is amazing as well as the much cheaper Road Worns. YMWV

10. Yup.
    I don't like my stuff worn out but if the other guy likes it...cool.

11. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    My view: Go buy yourself a brand new P-Bass.
    Play it heavily for 30 years,
    then show me all the wear & tell me some good Road Stories.

12. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    When I buy a bass brand new, I make a conscience effort to take care of it. Making sure it is always out of harms way and taking a polish cloth over it after a set.
    However, wear and tear over a few decades is unavoidable. I like to see '70's Fenders with worn edges, hazed clearcoat, and nice amber headstock, you can tell that it's aged but not beat.
    I prefer the real deal over staged age any day.

13. suddenlysane

suddenlysane Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2010
    I have a perfectly good explanation for WHY I chose to relic.....

First exhibit: My new and fabulous Fender Geddy Lee
    DSC_0462.

So new and fabulous that it sat on the stand and I almost refused to play it for fear of scratching it or upsetting it in any way. I sold it a few months later.

Exhibit number two: My new Dan Atkinson relic'd Jazz Bass
    IMAG0017.

Because this one appears to have actually been played before, I cannot put it down. I have no fear of scratching it. It seems to me to have a "play me" attitude and not a "look at me, I'm purdy" attitude.....although, I personally think it's GORGEOUS!

I started playing bass at near 40 and don't have the 30 years to put into a personal relic job. This works perfect for me. I FEEL like I've been playing for 30 years when I pick it up. I SOUND like I should be playing the drums instead but that's another story.............:bassist:

14. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG!

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    I really like the look of a well worn instrument.
    I love the CS relics as well as many of the one off relics I've seen from other builders,
    but I must confess although I like the look of the mim rw's, I strongly dislike the fact that the ware is the same on all of them it's quite tacky IMO.

15. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Same here. I generally dont concern myself with what other people do when it has no effect on me.

16. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    My Schecter is almost 3 years old now and it looks like she's 20 and gigged regularly. No relic job though! I bought her new then realized a little over a year later that the finish is super thin and really soft. And since it was a year old, I could not make a warranty claim. Basketball games, football games and rock gigs over the past couple years has put an astonishing amount of wear on the bass (on the back especially). I expect to have a good amount of wood showing on the back by the end of next summer (already a small patch of wood showing and a ton of deep dents and gouges).

Maybe for our 10 year anniversary I'll give her a refinish.... Or not;)

17. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    If it sounds like crap, it sounds like crap. If I looks like crap, who cares? What's it sound like?

18. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    You looks like crap?

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes. Then I wear them until they look like the ones people pay $250 for. Your point?

20. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Probably the best reason I've heard to relic a musical instrument.

IMO, everyone should do whatever pleases them. It's all IMO, YMMV, etc. Who cares?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.