1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Relief Help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kbaxter26, Oct 13, 2013.

1. I picked up a Squier Affinity Jazz, really cheap. The relief was at like 3/16". I have done my set-up and got the relief down to 0.020. I let it rest overnite. Noticed the relief had changed again. Tightened the truss, oops she is maxed out with the relief now at .022. What are my options? Can I easily pull the nut of and shim (washers), or what?
    Thanks

2. Jeema

Jeema

Oct 27, 2013
    Sorry no one replied to this yet.

I had a similar issue with this old cheap korean b.c. rich bass I bought. I tried adding washers, but unfortunately it uses a metric 6mm truss rod and I couldn't find any washers of the correct dimensions that would both fit around the rod and within the truss rod cavity.

What I ended up doing is packing the bottom of the truss rod cavity with some copper desoldering braid wound around the truss rod in spiral-like shape. Then I put the truss rod nut back on. Seemed to work okay, but I can tell that the truss rod is very tight now so I'm very careful when adjusting it (i.e. I try to apply backbow pressure and always loosen the nut before tightening).

The other option I considered was a steel spacer (you can find these at lowes), although I would have had to dremel it in half to get it short enough, and I didn't wanna bother with that.

You could also try just putting on some thinner gauge strings (which will have lower tension) if you are able to and don't wanna do any of this...

3. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Jeema,

In your case, get washers that fit the hole's diameter and drill out the washer's center hole to accommodate the rod. I'd go with a couple.

Best of luck,

Bob