Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Relief in the composite neck of a B-Quad

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gianni, May 18, 2004.

1. Gianni

Gianni

Jul 4, 2001
    Palermo - Italia
    Hello!
    I have a Peavey B-Quad bass which has a modulus graphite neck without truss rod.

Holding the E string at first and last fret and measuring the maximum distance between the E string and the frets it proves to be about 0.6 mm.
    A high value for my standard of regulation.

After proper regulation there is no buzz everywhere on the fretboard and the action in the bass is good, but not that much. I would expect a better one on a composite neck.

Is it such a relief tipical on such a neck?

Ciao!
    Gianni

2. It's molded in.

3. The relief is different from one composite neck maker to another, and sometimes the maker changes their standard relief over time--I've heard that later Zons have less relief than early ones, for instance. That's why Moses, Curbow, and newer Modulus necks have truss rods to allow the player to adjust the relief.

Mike

4. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    I love the amount of relief on my Zon 5 string. But sometimes I wish I could adjust it to try a different relief. Maybe if enough players got on Joe he would think about the "possibility" of a truss rod. :hyper:

5. Gianni

Gianni

Jul 4, 2001
    Palermo - Italia
    Can you tell me how much is the relief in your bass?

Ciao!
    Gianni

6. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    Gianni.....Mine is around .018-.019" at the 8th or 9th fret with the string depressed at the 1st and last fret, used as a straight-edge. That would make it close to .5mm. I don't know if this is normal for all Zon's. That's why I've asked that question to some on this forum also.