Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RELIEF ... is on the way.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Jan 3, 2001.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, boys 'n' girls. It's beginning to look like my bladder will receive its long overdue relief soon. I got an e-mail from Dan Lakin that my bass shipped today. So in a week or so, it ought to be at L.A. Bassex. I have a meeting in L.A. on Thursday, and that could be the magical day I pick it up. Keep your fingers crossed, and I'll keep my legs crossed.

2. got my fingers crossed for ya.
    couldn't have just U.P.S.ed it to you home. U.P.S. is real cool they have these guys that are dressed like poop, and drive trucks that look like poop that bring stuff to your house:D

3. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    My temporary GAS relief arrived yesterday. A ceruse green F Bass BNF Studio. I hope this cures me for a while!

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Munji, to tide your bladder over until you pick up the Lakland, just imagine that you hear the sound of thousands of gallons of rushing water and visualize Niagara Falls.

:D

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    :eek: :eek:

Sir, you are EVIL! :D :D

6. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yessir, Thursday's the day. They're gonna just go ahead and ship it to my office. I should have it for practice on Thursday night. Dave over at LABX says it's beautiful. That's what he said about my last one. He was right.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    [​IMG]swish swish swish[​IMG]

slosh slosh slosh

8. embellisher

Well, congratulations, munji! Give us a review as soon as you can!

But don't forget to take a leak first!:D

9. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Y'know, when I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about NECK relief.

10. Hi Thumper- Congrats! I hope you dig the BEST BASS ON THE PLANET!!------Sorry, I lost myself. BTW, did you but it from N.Y. Guitar & Bass Boutique?

11. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Rockbobmel - nope, it was one of the Ira Strickstein rollovers. This guy has 25-30 basses (almost all of them special in one way or another) and sells them off every 3-5 years to buy another group. Needless to say, they are mint. I also bought his 2 tone burl myrtle Roscoe LG3005, now that one is the bomb! Now he's selling off some of his Foderas. This guy could get me divorced.

12. Those sure are beautiful basses. I even like the looks better than F. I read some bad stuff in BP 5 str. shootout, and never went any furthur with with my persuit. I did get to compare it to a Zon, Modulus, MTD, and the Lakland that I traded in for it. What pickups are on it? I didn't like the Barts on the Lakland. How does the Roscoe sound?

13. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Please, I am a Club Roscoe member. The lows are immense, the highs will shatter glass (I read the same review, and what they said about the tone is true, it does sound supercharged). I firmly believe the quality problems have been addressed. I have A/B'd 9 of them and they all passed my quality standards, except for one which had a weak tone (I also own a Lakland, Fbass, Pedulla and '66 Jazz so my standards are high). I have gone over mine thoroughly and only found 2 small "flaws," the neck pocket could be a little tighter on the treble side, and Keith Roscoe's signature was slightly smudged. Like my Lakland it uses Bart's, but they sound nothing alike, between angling them and upgrading to the 18v. system....Nirvana. The only bass I found comparable was a Fodera, but it had single coil pickups which hummed.

I have found my personal icon. For me, the Lakland neck sets the standard, the Fbass is sexy, the Pedulla has a nice groove, but the Roscoe is it. Simply stated, the most beautiful and best sounding bass I have ever tried.

14. Munji, today's the day, isn't it? Are you sure you don't want to send it back and get a Peavey instead?

15. embellisher

I heard that michael!:mad:

:D:D:D

That were directed at me!

16. Heh heh... just a little dig, Embellisher, me boy!

17. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Don't you mean trade it for eleven Peaveys?

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I traded a Roscoe LG-3005 for my Lakland 55-94 Limited. The Roscoe was an excellent bass, unfortunately of the Super P bass persuasion. I'm not a P guy. I like the growl and bite of a good J bass and the Lakland does it better for me.

How's this for high-end heresy? ... I'm leaning more and more to my Fender MIA Jazz Deluxe 5's over the Lakland:D

The Lakland is easier to play (relatively speaking) but the Fender has the bite and aggressive, raw Fender sound I can't get from the 55-94. Makes the Lakland sound (almost)hi-fi. The 55-94 cuts through in the mix but the Fender demands attention.

19. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Brad -

On the Lakland, what frequency do you use for your mid dip switches? Your "hi-fi" description fits it exactly. It's not quite as aggressive as my Pedulla, but it's a very rich sound. I like it.

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I settled on 750hz, out of the four choices. I may play around with that again before I do anything drastic.

okay, no gig tonight and I'm bored... I just switched to 500hz (1 on, 2 off). Try this setup Munji, especially with the bridge pickup solo'd, bridge coil mode, and let me know what you think. I like it:D