Relief question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by theJello, Apr 23, 2003.

1. theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    I was wondering.
    Is it bad on the neck for it to be straight or
    even slightly back bowed?

2. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    if its slightly bowed its not gonna destroy the neck but i still would'nt leave it like that for an extended period of time,as far as being "too straight" its all in your preference more than anything that how you like it? if its bowed i cant imagine its easy to play,and if its totally straight the strings probably buzz here and there unless you raise the action which in turn will make it harder to play and less comfortable.
    good luck and hope this helped:D
  3. theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    The reason I ask is because with the change
    of season lately my neck straightened up quite a bit. Usually I have it almost straight but no quite.
    I think it is just slightly back bowed right now actually.
    Anyway, suprisingly it plays really well with no buzz or clack. Even on the B. So I was actually thinking
    of leaving it where it is at for now. I know Anthony
    Jackson says its best to have the neck perfectly straight.
    Well, I will try it for awhile.

4. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    A neck that is backbowed will ALWAYS buzz! It is physically impossible for it not to buzz.

The part that everyone leaves out is that A.J.s basses are set up nearly perfectly so far as fret dressing. Also, most people cannot play with a light enough touch to get away with a straight neck.

There is not one single manufacturer in the world that recommends a dead straight neck. As far as I know, AJ is the only world class player that plays with a straight neck. Actually, no matter what AJ says, I don't believe that he plays with a straight neck either.

A straight neck means that there is absolutely ZERO tolerance for humidity/temperature changes.

All basses with a metal truss rod change relief to some degree because metal and wood have different temp expansion coefficients. the warmer the temperature, the more relief a neck will exhibit. The colder the neck, the less relief. If it's dead straight at eighty degrees, it will have a backbow at seventy degrees.