1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale Relisted @ reduced price - MAS (Michael Arnopol Soundworks) 112 with (4) 4" Midrange Speakers

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by funkyjudge, Nov 27, 2018.

1. funkyjudge

funkyjudge Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Price:
    I am re-listing this cab at a reduced price (local pickup in the Philadelphia, PA - Trenton, NJ area only at this price!)

If you are looking at this thread, I suspect that you already know about Michael Arnopol (formerly of AudioKinesis fame), and his superb speaker cabinets.
    Here is a link to this cabinet model on the MAS website -- http://www.masoundworks.com/manage.numo?pid=23&module=shopping_cart&component=catalog

I am selling this cabinet because I decided to go in an entirely different direction (I'm going with a lighter-weight cab that is even lighter in weight than this 44 lb. cabinet). This cab sounds great, will handle about anything that you'll throw at it, and it's highly efficient, so a lower-powered amp will sound great through it (try a 50 to 200-watt tube head, and you'll see and hear what I mean).

Because of the cost of shipping, I wish to keep this sale relatively "local". I am in the Philadelphia, PA - Trenton, NJ area, and I will drive up to two hours to meet up with a serious buyer!

By the way, the cab has the top handle and wheels that allow you to tilt it back and roll it rather than lifting and carrying it, if that makes a difference to you.

NO TRADES, PLEASE!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    whirledpeas likes this.
  2. Tugboat

Tugboat Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2003
    NY, County of Orange
    Do you know which 12” driver is in this cab??? Thank you!!

3. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Mike says that it is “a custom Neo 12” driver designed for him and specifically tuned for this cabinet”. I believe that he sources these speakers from Faital.

4. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    If this is the current version of the MAS 112, the woofer is a 4 Ohm, custom-spec-ed Eminence (the mids are by Faital). Past variants have included an 8 Ohm woofer by 18Sound (the version I have) and stock woofers from Faital and Eminence. (@Mike Arnopol can verify or correct me.)

My 18Sound MAS 112 has been my main cab, for several years now, and has been outstanding for medium-to-ridiculously-loud outings, indoors and out. I haven't played a conventional cab that can touch it for clarity, even dispersion, or articulation.

I got to A/B my 112, awhile back, with the current version and, as much as I like mine, it had me thinking about switching -- it's a couple of dB more efficient, which you'll notice with a tube head and notice a little more with a solid-state head (with the SS bump in power moving from 8 Ohms to 4 Ohms). It also has a little more texture in the mid-mids than my cab does and a bit more going on in the lower mids/upper bass than the rather dry voicing of the "lean and mean" 18Sound cab. Super-punchy and articulate cab with a voicing that will work well with a variety of amps and in a variety of band settings.

eff-clef likes this.
  5. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    See prior response; it is definitely the current generation (Mike Arnopol actually built it for a friend of his, and I got the cab from him). Therefore, it has that custom-spec Eminence 12" driver in it, along with the (4) 4" Faital midrange drivers (NOT tweeters).

I hope that this helps.

6. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    THANKS!

By the way, I agree with you that it sounds great with a variety of heads. I have used it with a Demeter VTBP-D800-M, a Mesa Subway D800+, and a Mesa Walkabout head (300w tube/MOSFET hybrid), and all of them sound GREAT through the MAS cab. That Walkabout head sounds absolutely glorious with paired the MAS. I also used it on a recent winery gig with no FOH or backline support, and a huge room with high ceilings and stone walls. It was tone heaven!!!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    eff-clef likes this.
  7. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    If that is the one I think (28" tall) it's the newest version that I'm kindof psyched about. I spent wayyy too much time on the xover and I'm really happy how it turned out. I'm buiding one for myself right now because it's so practical. I did a side by side with the Bodai38 and it is neck and neck in terms of ultimate volume. Of course the Bodai top is super cool but the MAS28 and MAS112 are surprisingly goo in the mids. What does that cab weigh? Something like 34# I think. Practical cab. BTW---the Walkabout was an inspiration for the custom 12. Best sounding Mesa head of all time but needs an efficient speaker.

8. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Mike,

It is the one that you built for Tom W, who lives out your way. It is actually close to 33" tall and weighs 44 lbs.

9. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    By the way, Mike - I really like this cabinet, but I feel that I may be overdriving it with the two 800-watt amps (Mesa Subway D800+ and Demeter VTBP-D800-M) and I don’t want to risk damaging the speakers in it. If I go back to the Bergantino CN212, which will handle a bit more power, and move a little more air, I think that I run less of a risk of overdriving the cab. Also, if worse comes to worse, I have a 210 and a 115 (both MarkBass cabs, which leave more than a little to be desired) that will definitely handle what I would feed them with either of the 800-watt heads.

If you think that your MAS 112 will handle the 800-watt loads, I would probably keep the cab. It sounds great and offers a great deal of versatility, too.

Doug

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  10. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    It'll handle the 800 watts no sweat. Should be similar volume to the 212 Berg. That's not the newest one I mentioned. Same woofer, mids, a bit bigger box. Maybe a touch more bass output than the smaller new one.

funkyjudge likes this.
  11. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Thanks, Mike!

12. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Definitely more bass (or deep low-mid) output from this deeper and taller cab.

BIGREDSIX likes this.
  13. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    See comments above from Mike Arnopol himself. This cab has the custom 4-Ohm Eminence woofer and (4) Faital midrange speakers. It will handle 800+ watts of power and thanks to the larger and deeper enclosure, it will give you a bit of extra low end “oomph”.

eff-clef likes this.