1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Reloading an Ampeg SVT410-HLF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Barisaxman, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Even being careful, I managed to get the best of 3 of 4 drivers in my SVT410-HLF over the course of the outdoor gig season this year. Voice coils are rubbing badly on them, so I know even being careful, I managed to get a little to excited with my Orange TB1000 and have cooked them. Considering the cabinet is rate 500RMS, it's not surprising that much.

Question now is what to do with the cabinet? Obvious safe choice is to requisition some replacement Ampeg drivers and get it back to stock. If so, I'm probably going to sell it and move to something with a little better power handling, so that I don't end up in the same situation again.

Question then, is has anybody succefully reloaded this cabinet with something else with greater power handling? Not sure I want to invest the time in modelling the box and tuning it (modifying ports as necessary) to new drivers...but I'm not opposed to it either if others have had success doing so.

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Not much off the shelf that has characteristics like that aside from the BP102 but it's still not the same. I'd say get reppacements from Ampeg or a different cab all together.

HLF's can take a pretty good beating. If you blew one, just getting some other cab with a higher watt rating might not help you much. You really need another one to pair with it, or just a bigger cab like a 412, 810, etc.
    Getting something with higher sensitivity would help.. In exchange for going to deep, HLF's don't play quite as loud coming out per watt going in as some other stuff. With a louder cab, you woukdn't have to hit it as hard.

3. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    This is kinda along the lines I was thinking...maybe moving to a pair of 4x10's so when I'm outside on the bigger stages I don't have to worry trying to get too much out of a single box. Since I got the cab used a couple years ago I really can't vouch for what kind of condition the drivers were in to begin with, but I do know there were a couple gigs this summer where I'm sure I was at or beyond the limits of the cabinet.

The cab is a heavy beast as it is, so I'm thinking maybe two neo cabs....might reload this for a rehearsal cab or something...with one working driver it isn't worth much more than scrap lumber.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    As I'm sure you can hear, you lose quite a bit of lowend playing outdoors and can pretty well abuse speakers trying to make it up. I'd definitely want the second cab out there. Maybe get away with a single indoors.

Sure as heck wouldn't want to be moving around 2 HLF's though.:smug:

5. +1

To the OP, I would take a peak at a fEARful 1212/6 or a Barefaced big twin. Either will out perform you 410 in volume and power handling, but will still have the beg low end that you are used to from your current cab. Oh, either will be way lighter than your HLF to boot.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If you don't want to have to buy and carry 2 boxes, some of these newer high perf. 215 builds might be a good solution. They run loud and have enough oomph you won't sound thin outside. Even though they are larger, or at least taller boxes, they are lighter and easier to maneuver than the 100+ pound cube a 410 is. Something like a Greenboy Dually or other, slightly smaller custom build that uses kappalites or Faitals. Mesa 215's run way loud but you'll be missing the depth of your HLF. They're also made of lead.