1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Relocating a bridge lower

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fatboy250, May 12, 2006.

1. I have a Fender P-bass and was thinking of adding another set of P pups. What I was thinking about doing was moving the bridge lower on the body. This would allow me to route for the other set and have them at least 1/2" lower than if I left the bridge in place. Would this cause any problems that you guys can think of on a fretless? I could see how it would affect a fretted, but since it would be fretless would there be any other unforeseen problems that I need to consider?

Also is there some mathamatical way of determining a "best" location for pups based on string length? Especially if I consider relocating or adding another neck pup (3 sets!!:eyebrow: )

Thanks,
    Jason

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

Your intonation would be thrown way off.

Why exactly do you want the pickup farther back?

3. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    Well, your neck dots would be useless. And your string tension would increase. Other than that I can't think of any problems you would have. But for a difference of a half inch I'm not sure why you would really want to bother.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    A voice from the Copper Country!!!

Actually, on a fretless, moving the bridge back will simply lengthen the scale length...intonation is set relative to that.

If it's a lined fretless you'll have "issues" if unlined you'll need to recalibrate your playing.

Mathematical placement of pickups? I'm not sure. Best thing to do would be to try out a number of basses and see what harmonics are located above the pickups...that might give a clue.

My 5 string Hoyt/Warmoth J5 has a body designed (AFAIK) for a 34 in. scale bass, but Karl put a 35 in. scale neck on it... All this really means is that the pickups moved relative to their expected locations, but it sounds great.

For three pickups, take a look at the Stu Hamm Urge bass...two Js and a P. The other example to draw from might be a Yamaha Billy Sheehan Attitude bass...big ol' Gibson-like humbucker up by the neck (ala EB series bass) and a P in the P position. Add to that a J like a PJ and there you go...

For two Ps find a photo of an old BC Rich bass or find that Vantage thread in basses...there are some double P basses there.

If you're going to install three Ps, then the only way to amplify it would be with a POD:D

Have fun!

5. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    I didn't move the bridge, but I did shorten the scale length of my Strat years ago when I had the fingerboard replaced and they recalibrated it just a little shorter, which caused no problems whatsoever.

Especially since you're fretless you won't have to do a thing other than to plug unused screw holes.

6. Seems as if it would need to be to locate another set at the bridge. Maybe I could just get a measure from someone who has a 34" scale bass with dual P's? A Precision elite II measurements would be ideal probably since I have a precision to start with. That would answer just about any question I had with the dual P set up. If I went to 3, I'm not sure where I would get my reference.

Anybody have time to measure their dual P setup? I guess the reference point would be to the centerline of each pickup in relation to the 12th or 20th fret.

This would be valuable information since I don't know anyone with this type of bass.

Thanks,
    Jason