1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Relocating Effects In/Out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vagus, Apr 27, 2009.

1. vagus

vagus

Feb 8, 2009
    Denver
    Why anyone would build a rack mountable head and put effect in/outs on the front is beyond me, :eyebrow:

But alas, it isn't worth junking a great sounding amp over.

Would relocating these to the back be anything more than drilling the holes and soldering some wire extensions from the current spot to the new? I understand it is a little of an oversimplification, but what I am asking is there an issue with the added resistance on those or routing the wire past other components that might cause interference ?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    What amp?

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Generally speaking it really is as simple as just drilling two new holes and installing two new jacks. The only significant complication I can think of is when the existing jacks are attached directly to the circuitboard, making them a bit harder to remove and re-route. Also sometimes there's no room on the inside of the back panel for new jacks (and the plugs sticking in). Resistance from the wire won't be an issue at all, but there is some potential for the wires to be too near to a noise source like part of the power supply. So twist the wires together in a spiral, and route them away from any transformers or very large capacitors, and it should be fine.

4. vagus

vagus

Feb 8, 2009
    Denver
    It is an ashdown mag 600...

Plenty of room under the hood for this mod, and the current jacks are not connected directly to the board - so extending those wires should not be an issue.

Thanks for the input Bongo...

I am going to put two more knobs to take up the space of the current jacks on the front... A "Suck" dial and "Awesomeness" dial :D

5. atheos

atheos

Sep 28, 2008
    Tampere, Finland
    I would just figure out a way to route the cables from the front panel using angled plugs. One extra unit in the rack or through some hole or gap.

6. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

When drilling the holes, it's best completely dismantle the amp, down to the bare chassis. Otherwise, there's a risk of metal shavings in a circuit. That's a lot of work.

7. vagus

vagus

Feb 8, 2009
    Denver
    i routinely disassemble laptops and cars and modify everything i can take apart, :ninja: much to my wife's displeasure.

i've built a couple class a amps before, but there where detailed directions for that.

8. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Then you'll have no problem, since you've got the tools and know-how.

9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I suspect that heads are designed to be rack mountable, but with the expectation that they will rarely be installed in an actual rack. So, does it make sense to design for a small fraction of users? The jacks are on the front because the preamp is on the front, and it is likely that the jacks are on the printed circuit board.

The best of all possible worlds would be FX loop jacks on both the front and the back.

10. vagus

vagus

Feb 8, 2009
    Denver

I've thought that too.. . I don't know of anyone doing it, but I rarely have GAS or read the rags..