1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Relocating to Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by quasiz_bassist, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Hey Justin,

I'm 17 years old, living in kansas right now, graduating this May and am moving to Los Angeles pursuing a music career. Any advice for a young dude like me?

Thanks man.

Cameron

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    Search this forum first, then ask more specific questions if you have them.

Best,
    Justin

3. Sorry for being a bit vague, but thanks for the timely response.

Here are some more specific questions.

1. I'm sure you've played many clubs around LA, did you ever have to put up with really rowdy crowds (people jumping on stage, trying to mess with your equipment, throwing stuff?)

2. What are some of your favorite clubs to play at in LA? What places should I avoid?

4. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    1) Of course...I've broken a rib, broken a toe, sprained a knee, all kinds of cuts, bruises galore, etc. All part of the game if you're in the midst of an energetic, committed show.

2) Spaceland, Silverlake Lounge, The Echo, Echoplex, Troubadour, El Rey. Not sure what to avoid, it all depends on the night and what sort of bands are on the bill.

Best,
    JMJ