1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Relocating to the USA

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by -Asdfgh-, Sep 20, 2020.

1. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    No, not me, I am just curious about this. For most mere mortals such a thing is difficult, but a lot of British musicians seem to have just upped and moved to the USA over the last 50 years. How do they get to just move and stay, seemingly on a whim?

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  2. Lagado

Lagado Suspended

Jan 6, 2020
    The accent.

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Marry an American woman? Not sure. I’d take a guess to say that gaining US citizenship in the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, and maybe even 90’s was easier than now.

4. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I did, but even that doesn't make it simple. And I am pretty sure Morrissey didn't! Not that I am trying to move to the USA, just curious.

murphy likes this.
  5. Most of them, that I know, did it for tax purposes. They started with just work visas, and kept working here. The US welcomed that.
    Once they reached a certain income level, they were being charged huge taxes, in Britain.
    One well known guitarist I know, was going to have to pay 90% of his income in taxes.
    A well know singer I know, was put into a 78% tax bracket.
    That’s the quickest way to drive off talent.
    I know a Finnish musician who made the mistake of appearing on a very high profile tv show, before his visa was secured, and was told he had to leave the country. It’s been years and he’s never been able to get a visa.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    roccobass, design and hieronymous like this.
  6. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

How? Maybe have a record contract and already moved a lot of product? I don’t know about now, but Santa Monica was an epicenter for ex-pat Brits, the King’s Head pub being the hang...
    Ye Olde King's Head - Restaurant in CA
    Irish too. The weather was a big draw as well as the industry.

bassb66 and johnnynitro like this.
  7. @-Asdfgh-

There's 8 different visa musicians can apply for. Most last for 1 year so the trick is, once in country make contacts who vouch for you.

The big visa is the O-1, that's for megastars. Lasts for 3 years,quite easy to extend, kids and partner get covered by O-3 visa.

p.s.

Have you found a home up here yet ?

sotua, Rip Van Dan and Spidey2112 like this.
  8. Lagado

Lagado Suspended

Jan 6, 2020
    Be a little inventive with the application, a little 'mistake'. There's quite a difference between 'Eric from Clapton', and 'Eric Clapton'... A foot in the door.

mikewalker and murphy like this.
  9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    MONEY.

mcnach, red_rhino, Jazz Ad and 5 others like this.
  10. You don't need citizenship, just a residence visa, and those are really easy to get. If you want to work, that's another visa, somewhat harder to get. Which is why you go back to Britain to cut your album, and then come back here to stay in your house. No visa needed to buy or rent a place to live.

mcnach, Huw Phillips and murphy like this.
  11. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    You have to sign an official document admitting that colour is spelled "color" and that the Metric system is inherently evil... Then they let you in.

12. Lagado

Lagado Suspended

Jan 6, 2020
    11/32 wrench... What does that even look like?....

13. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    The UK also disdains the ridiculous metric system.

Lee Moses and BassikBrad like this.
  14. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    Gaining citizenship might be more difficult, but applying for US citizenship is simpler now than it has been in the past. A person can sign up from anywhere on the planet that has internet access (if not in a country where they are restricted from doing so).

Apply for Citizenship

15. Lagado

Lagado Suspended

Jan 6, 2020
    Not as far as I'm aware, here.

mcnach and kodiakblair like this.
  16. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    More ridiculous than not being able to agree on what a pint is?

17. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Really??... High five!

18. Err, no idea where you got that idea.

Wishful thinking perhaps.

19. 'Murica

mcnach and lordradish like this.
  20. legalbass

legalbass

Jul 2, 2020
    Chicago
    Not sure it should surprise anybody that white, wealthy, English-speaking non-citizens get treated well in the US, particularly those from England. Actually the idea is so obvious I feel silly spelling it out like this.

higain617, Jon McBass, 31HZ and 3 others like this.