Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

REM - Mike Mills sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by the low one, Jan 31, 2005.

1. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Mike Mills of REM uses a basic setup of Ampeg and Fender Precision but he also has an effect pedal on the floor which is used on songs such as 'Imitation Of Life'. Anyone know his setup ?

2. rluk

rluk

Nov 4, 2004
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Not to asnwer the question but to ask another :p

They were just here last week and he seemed to have
    two ampeg classic sets, whats up with that? Backup?
    Just driving the ampegless bassists nuts? :D

3. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I would guess he's running both rigs together. It's a big stage and he wants a big sound behind him. And ..... if you're Mike Mills you can afford it to :bassist:

4. well, i've got a friend who has everything REM, and i went down and listened to the song on the, and also the DVD. i didn't see what pedal he had, but by the sound of it, i would put all my money on a compressor, and he would switch it on for that song to give the slow(er) attack you hear in that song, maybe he thought it gives it a fretless sound to it, which it kind of does, so mission accomplished for him :D

moral of the story: its a compressor

EDIT: rluk, i'd probably bet that it's backup. a single 810 is usually sufficient for stage volume, maybe even a bit too much, and i suppose that they do PA for the crowd, so its probably backup. the only bassist i've seen to run two at the same time is Tim Commerford from RATM, who had one clean, and one heavily effected, and would use a volume pedal to control the volume of the effected cab, thus making a blend control so to speak...

5. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    There's definitely some tone shaping going on there, it sounds something like an auto wah or phaser ??

6. where are you hearing this?
    i listened to the whole song on cd, and then on REM's DVD. I didn't hear anything outside of what's probably a compressor, set with a slow attack. what part of the song am i missing?

7. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    It's the quiet part of the song between 2:42 and 3:12. I'm listening to the CD version from the Reveal CD. I watched a video also and he has a large looking effect on the floor, and he's not big on effects from what I remember.

8. you are right, he's not very big on effects, but i will definately check that out this afternoon...

9. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Check out the rehearsal video on the REM website. You get lots of overhead shots of Mike, clearly seen are 2 effects pedals and some bass pedals.

10. ok, thanks, i hear it now,
    i would guess a envelope filter that is is to slowly open up...i can't tell for sure what make that is.

11. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Yep, that sounds like it.

I read somewhere that he also used a distortion on the Monster CD but I can't remember hearing any on the bass.