1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

remains of Blink-182

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BIG MONTANA, Apr 20, 2006.

1. BIG MONTANA

BIG MONTANA

Apr 21, 2005
    north dakota
    Is anyone else out there stoked for the arrival of albums from Angels and Airwaves and/or Plus-44?
    I'm not sure as either one of the bands can top Blink-182, but I am expecting great things out of both bands, especially Angels and Airwaves. I think Tom DeLonge wants to run his own show without having to have everything agreed upon by the other bandmates, not to take anything away from Mark and Travis. I see AvA as basically the Tom DeLonge show, a complete dictatorship. In my opinion, I don't see either band straying too far away from the sound of Blink-182, even though Tom promised Angels and Airwaves would be different. I have heard "The Adventure" by AvA, and "No it Isn't" by Plus-44, and neither of them are a complete 180...no pun intended...from Blink-182. I am interested to see what everyone else thinks...

2. "Ow, my eyes." That's what I think.

3. "Ow, my ears" thats what I think.

4. I definately dig AVA, and I had really high expectations of DeLonge's new project... I had a different idea of what they would sound like, I guess I was expecting more of a "Boxcar Racer sound" than what he's given me, however, I'm very very pleased with the outcome. It's far surpassed what I expected, just in a different spectrum.

I really needed a mellow out band to listen to, and I think I've finally got one.

On a different note, Plus 44 so far, has yet to "wow" me, "No It Isn't" sounds just like anoter Blink ballad to me.

PS, I really dig the videos, I've bcome great admirer of the director; Mark Eaton through these videos.

-Ryan.

5. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Whatever happened to Box Car Racer?

6. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I dont want to sound like some sort of musical snob, but Tom Delonge.. genius? Don't get me wrong, I dig blink and all but that dude is no genius.

7. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    My opinion echoed here too.
    I think he's a very tight player who has worked hard to get his chops tight and I enjoy watching him play, but genius would be a term better reserved for others of more imagination.

8. If I had to wait for the rest of my life, it would not necessarily be long enough.:D :D :D :D

9. It was said shortly after their debut (and only album to date) by Tom that the band would do a follow-up shortly after. Sadly, I guess everyone just drifted apart, while Tom and Travis became consumed with doing another Blink record.

It's a real shame, I think Boxcar is one of my altime favorite bands, I really relate to that cd as an "eye opener" when it comes to musical influence.

-Ryan.

10. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Have you ever watched anything they did live? Tom was mediocre at best.

11. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Agreed. I found him pretty sloppy. But I must admit, though I don't much care for blink-182 (outside of their first two albums), they could sure write a catchy pop-punk song. And I would totally buy that Hoppus signature bass, if only it had a tone knob.

Graeme

12. BIG MONTANA

BIG MONTANA

Apr 21, 2005
    north dakota
    haha yeah... i may have overshot that one...sorry it was getting sort of late and I was just writing, not fully paying attention to the details of my post...although most everything I put I'll stand behind...Tom DeLonge isn't quite a genius. He could surprise some with AvA, though I doubt it will be completely earthshattering. Don't get me wrong, I'm still gonna buy "We Don't Need to Whisper" and I am impressed with the songs I've heard off of it. As for AvA, its sort of a branch off of the Boxcar Racer tree...obviously with Tom DeLonge, but the Boxcar Racer rythm guitarist, David Kennedy, is filling a guitar position in AvA.

13. Atom Willard better not actually leave The Offspring for AvA.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    AvA is alright. I have respect for Tom just because box car racer was indeed a good band and put out the best alt punk record ive ever heard.

15. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Wow, I didn't know that Box Car Racer was so highly regarded. The only songs I've heard have been 'There Is' and 'I Feel So'. Is the rest of the album similar to the style of those songs? (I ask because usually a band's singles are not representative of a whole album).

Graeme

16. Its an awesome album BassGod, if you're into the genre, then it's a must have in my book.

-Ryan.

17. I gave a good solid listen-through to the Boxcar Racer cd and just wasn't that impressed with it. I'm still curious to see what they'll be putting out in their new projects, but it'll take something to impress me. I love Tom Delonge but just don't think of him as a real innovative guitarist. Who knows, maybe he'll surprise me, it'd be a pleasant one. I don't know about plus44 and the synth stuff, but I'll still be looking to check it out to see what they've been up to. I just don't think anything they do will be as good as Blink. Don't get me wrong, I hate defending the mediocre and immature pop punk band, but the way they brought that to the public eye was just great to me. I do wish them all luck, however.

18. If you check out Blink's older live stuff, Tom is much better - I used to be hard on him for that kind of thing - but after reading the kerrang interview about why they split...it could be understandable - alas, when their shows cost so much,a dn so many people look up to you, whether you hate your band or not, it's really no excuise - you owe them whatever musical ability you can muster.

For me, Plus 44... blargh.
    AvA? Not bad - kinda nice. One song I heard I hated, the other ain't so bad though.
    I'm not expecting much, to be honest from either band...
    Blink were good for what they were all in all...

19. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    That's plainly funny. Okay, he did some catchy songs for 14-year olds, but none is genious. They don't possess a slightest degree of challenge technically either. I'm not a punk fan, but I can say that blink were nothing compared to Sum41 for instance.

20. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Didn't Tom say something along the lines of "my new album will be considered right up there with the most classic albums of all times within 6 months of its release"?