Remakes of songs

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cabooke, Aug 21, 2002.

1. cabooke

Jan 26, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    Hello fellow bassists. I was teaching yesterday, and one of my students wanted to show me that he had learned the part for Smooth Criminal as done by Alien Ant Farm. He had no idea that it was originally done by Michael Jackson. So for all of you out there, which do you like better? Not just Smooth criminal, but other songs that have been redone or remixed by younger bands.

I personally like M.J.'s better:D

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    ummm.....i persaonlly like the new covers....especially punk covers of old songs...

and i kno im not a mod...but shouldn't this be in recordings?

3. cabooke

Jan 26, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    I thought about if it should be in recordings, but since the topic is more general of a specific recording, I thought it would be better placed here.
  4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    except for the occasional rare ones that are good. I think they have a tendency to ruin the origional songs.
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I enjoy "Blinded by the Light" by Manfred Mann. Most people don't even know who Manfred Mann is, so if you can tell me who did the original you get... um... 5... billion... dol- points. Yes.:cool:
  6. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I don't mind remakes. I just hate when people think the cover artist is the writer. One dim bulb thought "If You Want Me To Stay" and "Higher Ground" were written by the Peppers! :rolleyes: On a side note, I've got a copy of Larry Graham doing a cover of "Love & Happiness" live, and he flat out smoked that song!!!!
    Out of curiosity, how would you feel if you was a recording artist, and your biggest hit was a cover tune? :eek:
  8. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    If it was played the same way and sounded basically the same, I'd have no problem. If it was a punk cover when it isn't a punk song, I'd be pissed.

Either way, I'd be flattered, unless it was a parody or a joke.
  9. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Rage against the machine covered Minor Threat's "in my eyes". In my opinion Minor Threat (the original version) is wayyy better. Its much more raw and has more energy than RATMS version.

Sublime covered Bad Religion's "were only gonna die from our own arrogance" and once again i liked bad religion's version much more.
  10. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    in principle, i think its great. kind of the pop equivalent of the way jazz-ists add their own take on the standards.

and there are some great covers out there with unique twists- phish do some hilarious stuff live. i'm partial to the depeche mode tribute album, there's some bad ass stuff on there.
  11. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I don't mind them....except when the occasional person thinks the cover band is the writer.

I'm partial to Type O Negative covers... :D
  12. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    type o's cinammon girl has to be one of the best ever.
  13. Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    well, it depends. some remakes suck...ALOT. and some are better than the original...take the red hot chili peppers higher ground for example. im not a big chili peppers fan, but that song is pretty rockin' :cool:
  14. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Yeah, that's cool, and their cover of "Hit Me Baby(One More Time)" is good too, lol.
  15. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    haven't caught that one....hit me baby that is....what's it off of?
  16. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I don't think it's on a record.....I'm not even positive it's them(KaZaA...yeah...), but it sounds JUST like Peter Steele singing.
  17. ConTraBajisTa

ConTraBajisTa Guest

Oct 5, 2000
    auburn, ny
    the queen cover "bohemian rhapsody" by the band OURS (it was actually only the slow piano part of the song where he sings "mama... blah blah). and although you're all thinking, no way that was a classic, jimmy gnecco has such an amazing beautiful voice that it blows the original away, in my opinion.
  18. I DL'ed that but I don't think its ToN. It does sound like Peter, but the music doesn't sound like ToN. I think it may have been recorded slow, and someone messed with the EQ settings.

I also like ToNs cover of Hey Joe, Paranoid, and Black Sabbath. One of my favorite songs is an Ozzy (on vocals) and Type O (music) song call "Matchstick Man." It was on the Howard Stern Private Parts soundtrack. Awesome song. I love it when Ozzy teams up with ToN.

Most of the time though, I prefer the original song over the cover, but there are some exceptions. The one that stands out right now is Lynryd Skynyrd "Call me the Breeze." I can't recall who it was done by origianlly, some old blues man, but I don't remember.
  19. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    It was written by JJ Cale.
  20. I don't usually mind them too much, I personally think Alien Ant Farm's version of Smooth Criminal sounds much much better, but I've never been a big fan of MJ the kiddy fiddler. The covers that annoy me are when rappers totally butcher classic songs. You can't help but get ticked off when Under Pressure by Queen starts and someone goes "Hey, Vanilla Ice!!". :rolleyes: