Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Remanufacture project

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by NHGhost, Oct 19, 2004.

1. NHGhost

NHGhost

Sep 26, 2004
    Hopefully this is the right spot for this thread, and I can get some help/ideas.

Finally got the basis for my first real project. Purchased a Galveston 5 string p/j bass with a nice looking body and nice straight neck. Seemed as good a basis for a project as a Essex or simply ordering some parts from say Warmoth. We shall see.

I should state ahead of time I am a proffesional finish carpenter, and quite hadny with a soldering Iron etc. I know wood, how to work it, and I definetly have the tools to do so. So any building problems will be design or parts wise. Hopefullly you guys can help me out there.

My first task is to strip the body/neck of all parts, then strip the finish off of both.

Several questions.

Pickups. What style to use? Two J's? A P and J? MM and J etc. I am looking for Flexibility. I play most everything from Metal to Jazz. I would like one bass setup to do it all. I was thinking maybe a MM style pu at the bridge (tapped to go single coil) and then maybe a '51 P style pup somewhere in the middle. Unconventional yes...but I need that P tone for punk, classic rock tunes etc. Any ides for something that is SUPER flexible? I want to stay passive on this bass.

Secondly. I am looking for a bridge. I want to go string through body. I have contemplated simply drilling holes in the existing bridge, and ordering the ferruls from Warmoth and doing it that way. I would not mind doing something more...proffesional appearing though. Any reccomendations for a 5 string bridge body through in Black?

I am also looking for recomendations for a finish. The current finish is an orange transparnet finish on a decent flamed bookmatch top. Not the most figure..but decent at least. I would leave as is but HATE orange. Any DIY burst finsihes out there? Or a reccomendation of a company able to do a QUALITY job? If none of those are a possibility, can someone reccomend a QUALITY paint or finsih? Preferably tough as nails..as this will be a gigging axe when done.

Thanks..

If you have any ideas or advice..feel free to post them Pm me or email me.

NHghost

2. Sounds like a cool project. good idea with the MM pickup. Check out http://www.reranch.com/ for some finishing info, other people might have more specific info for you.

3. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    If you're looking for a string thru body bridge, for a 5 string in black, you could try a Hipshot "A" Style bridge, they can either be setup as string thru, or not. Plus they look pretty slick. you can find some specs at: http://www.hipshotproducts.com

I like your Pickups w/ the MM bridge and P neck setup. I think that would give you a good flexible range. especially if you want to stay passive. you might also look at some sort of EQ setup, many of them work with active or passive pups. It would give you the ability to shape the sound a little bit more to whatever you're looking for.