Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Remark that has pissed you off the most!?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by 311 fan, Dec 20, 2000.

1. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    Okay, what was that one remark said by a non bassist that just fried your brain and really got you angry? Ive been told many times that bass is so much easier than the guitar. I hate it! You know, us bassists get no recegnition around here. Bass = superior!

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hmn. Toughie. I think it would have to be: "Yeah, I know you play bass, but there just aren't any known bassists. You know, like Hendrix...only on bass"

About pissed me off.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    "Why do you play bass, bass is so boooring, you can't do anything fun with a bass!"

Well, didn't exactly piss me off, I mostly felt sorry for the guy... :rolleyes:

4. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Ignorance is only bliss for the ignorant.

5. dot74

dot74

Aug 24, 2000
    What's a bassist do?

I think that has made me mad a time or two, then I remember that it is a geetarist saying it.....

6. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    They let you be a doctor with all that hair?

I get that about twice a day.

7. why cant you play six strings?
    are you only good enough for four?

every time i hear that a fight mysteriously breaks out

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i hear hair comments often too. i also get the "4 was good enough for jaco" tripe a lot.

9. Yertle The Turtle

Yertle The Turtle

Nov 15, 2000
    I have recieved all those comments from ONE person (a KoRn fan believe it or not... hardcore korn fan) apart from the hair ones...

ANyway, I just showed him my 4 strings bass and plugged into this real big amp and did some fancy over technicaly shallow playing and he thinks I am the greatest that ever lived :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

10. ~Loxley~

~Loxley~ Guest

Apr 9, 2000
    I'm not the kind of guy who gets pissed off easily, but this remark REALLY made me angry. It was my guitarist's b**ch girlfriend who said:

"Isn't being a bassist just a bad excuse for not being able to play the guitar?"

So I whipped out my spanish guitar and proved her wrong...

~Lox~ (An Englishman in Copenhagen :))

11. heres some stuff ive been told

"you play bass? is that some sort of type of guitar?"

"you only play ibanez because its a growing fad" (btw after being told that i really told this guy off)

"you play bass? it must suck to be you then, cause i bet you never get any attention on stage" (ok hows this for not any stage attention? i was standing on the center of the stage, banging my head and jumpin around next to the vocalist (now ex-vocalist), while our rhythm guitarist (now ex-rhythm) stood cowering in the corner barely able to play)

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Brendan -

The sad fact is that there are no "known" bassists. Ask any adult to name their favorite bass player. Nobody (non-bass player) has a favorite bass player. Most people can't even name a bass player, with the possible exception of Paul McCartney or Sting. You aren't going to get famous playing the electric bass guitar. Get over it.

13. Yertle The Turtle

Yertle The Turtle

Nov 15, 2000
    That's debatable. Most people usually pick some useless bass players (most of the time from their favourite rock bands) as their favourites.

14. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I've often heard the comment that bass players are just frustrated or failed guitar players. On the other hand I have never heard anyone say a guitar player is just a failed or frustrated bass player wannabe.

Jason Oldsted

15. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    "Bass ruins the music" - I got pretty mad until he told me he was kidding. It was hard to tell, though, because before he was telling me how bass was boring and how you can't do a lot with it.

16. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Jason: Well, I'm sure alot of the locally popular rock/metal bass players ARE frustrated guitarists. And probably quite a few of the lesser-known nationally-distributed rock bassists, too.

Fieldy's different, though. He's a frustrated drummer. :)

17. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Replying to Furtim...sad, but very true. You are so right about the frustrated guitarists playing bass. I wonder about drummers...are they frustrated guitarists too?

Jason Oldsted

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Naw, I think guitarists are frustrated bassists;) Whattsa matter, can't handle the strings? Fine...go to the wimpy tiny short strings...SEE if you can lay down the funk!:D:D

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am no frustrated guitarist, although my busy playing has elicited that remark a few times.

20. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    When someone says something like Chris Novelisc (or how ever you spell his name) from Nirvana, or the dude from Blink-182 is a good bass player. Also "Bass would be easier than guitar because you only have 4 strings", makes me laugh also.