Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Remeber Dennis Dunway?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Oct 28, 2002.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

The fine bassist for Alice Cooper. Modest chops, but distinct tone and style.

"Black JuJu"
    "Looney Tune"
    "Dead Babies"

Whaddya think? Got your 'Coop favorites?

2. Sure do, but i liked Tony Levin's lines better.

3. DD has been brought up a pretty good amount on TB.

Favorites:
    Billion Dollar Babies
    Gutter Cat vs. The Jets
    Ballad of Dwight Frye
    Blue Turk

Really isn't a bad line on any of the songs.

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Killer, and Love it to Death are my favorite Alice albums.

5. Dennis Dunaway was the s**t.. I play an eb3 because of him..I actually ran into Alice Cooper back in August in the Salt Lke City airport and asked him about DD. He said he was doing great, living in Connecticut had a couple antique shops and still playing..He and Alice had recently done some playing together at Cooperstown in Phoenix..Alice also said that he looks exactly the same..I was so stoked to hear some good news concerning him..Yeah..he was a very cool player..in a very cool band.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    School's Out(the album) was "it" for me.
    Then I went back & bought Killer, Love It To Death, & Easy Action...I'm still on the hunt for Pretties For You.

Dunaway lines I like-
    "Long Way To Go"
    "Caught In A Dream"
    "Is It My Body?"
    "Dead Babies"(the droning "D")
    "School's Out"
    "Gutter Cat"(more droning "D"...this is what he calls his "Raga" vibe)
    "Blue Turk"
    "Public Animal #9"
    "Billion Dollar Babies"
    "No More Mr. Nice Guy"
    "Crazy Little Child"

Last Christmas, I bought & read Mike Bruce's book(easy to read, took about a day and a half). Surprising to me, it was Dunaway who was the early leader of the boyz back when they were still "garaging" it back in Arizona. A lot of the "theatre" was coming outta his suggestions.
    To my knowledge, Dunaway has no website...I was wanting tio e-mail him & let him know this ex-Jazz Nazi still digs him after almost 30 years.
    Last I heard, DD has a project with Neil Smith & Joe Bouchard of Blue Oyster Cult called BSD(nee Eye Scream). Neil Smith's site has some info on that trio.

FWIW-
    Nothing Alice did post-"the Cooper band" floated my boat(even though he used guys like Levin & Bob Babbit),

7. Jim K..Yeah, I certainly agree with you concerning AC's later work..Tony Levin may be a hell of a player,but there was no way all those studio guys could match the vibe that early band had.Funny. I have really wanted to get ahold of DD and let him know what a profound impact he had on my playing..

8. My choice is The ALice Cooper band but in all honesty I think Welcome to my nightmare, Special Forces, and Zipper catches skin are pretty good disks.

9. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Dennis Dunaway is one of my favorite's. You guys got all the good songs listed, too!

10. P. Aaron

The great thing about Alice Cooper and the band in those early days was the lack of a nationally produced sound. It wasn't regional, but it was original.

So much of the later stuff is noticeably produced shotgun style to fill seats.

The artistry, the songs, the style, probably not be heard again soon. I hope I'm wrong.

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Very cool bassist, fine showman, with some original bass twists, like bass note bends, especially on, "Ballad of Dwight Frye."

I pretty much became disenchanted after "Killer."

First time I saw them was when they were wearing the silver-sparkle jump suits and the only prop they had was the guillotine. Dunaway had the first Acoustic amp I ever heard live and was playing that freaked-out EBO -

[​IMG]

12. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    one of the three greatest rock bass player for me!

13. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I'm a little surprised at that, since some of Dennis' best bass work was on School's Out.

14. it makes me feel so good to see people giving DD his due. and..you are certainly right about the originality of the AC band sound..Unfortunately, bands are not encouraged to develop "a sound" unless it is one that reflects current demographic wants.. Can you imagine what it must have been like,back in the day, to be a marginal selling band that was allowed to develop without fear of the chopping block?!! That would have been wonderful..At least we have a burgeoning DIY ethic going around these days..Who needs corporate america???

15. Hey Rickbass..Where did you find that pic?? That is awesome!!

16. P. Aaron

"Luney Tune" is a great bass line to play. I got disenchanted after "Muscle of Love".
    That pic is Awesome!

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    This is a little off topic, but does anyone have any advice on how to play gutter cats vs. the jets. It's one of the greatest rock bass songs. Any transcriptions that are decent... anywhere?

18. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I had it set up in "Favorites." Do a search for "Dennis Dunaway EBO" and it should turn up.

19. Here is a pic I posted elsewhere on TB
    [​IMG]

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That's the Jazz compliment to the EB-O, right?

StuMatt-
    Are you talking about the main groove to "Gutter Cat"?
    If so, my technique(since I don't use a plectrum) to get the point across for that figure is to use my index finger to primarily pluck the "G" while the middle finger plucks the OPEN "D".
    Using a pick would be "too easy". ;)
    Whatever you decide upon, play the "melody" on the "G" while keeping that OPEN "D" drone happenin' underneath.

The intro to that tune I've always liked...