Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Remeber Sponge?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Matt Till, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    You know that "Sixteen candles down the drain" band. 90s alternative... you know. Well this story actually happened a while ago. Sponge put on a free concert at our school, my friend Larry, the music expert said they do an awesome version of speedracer. So he made a sign that said "Play Speedracer." I decided to make a sign too... "Play Slow Ride". :D

So I am occasionally holding up this sign from the front row. Then the singer from the stage sings in my face in a rockstar fashion. I grin really big and hold of the sign. He looks at it, rips it up and jumps off the stage. He "backs me down" while singing his stupid little song in a very broadway fashion. In the meantime, I'm still cool (Have you seen Sponge guy? He couldn't beat up Woody Allen) and I'm just like, "Dude, you gotta know some foghat... slowride dude... slow ride." He laughs and jumps back on stage and continues to let his butt crack be seen from his tight leather pants. :eek:

2. great story matt:D :p

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    OH, but they DID play Speed Racer.

4. Was it awesome or crapful?

5. I remember Sponge when they were Loudhouse, and they were punk and didn't suck.:bawl:

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I dunno, at that gig, the singer acted like he thought he was "Punk" in the hot topic sense. He has his tiny leather pants and his liberty spike hairstyle... It was pretty funny.