Remeber way back when...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Jan 13, 2001.

1. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Hey guys,

I keep hearing all this shtuff about needing 300-400 min watts to play. But if you all recall there was a time before we were all famous rock stars that we still had our little Squire 15 practice amps and stuff and somehow or another we managed to play with our drummers for our practices and even in some cases do a party or two!! My first band's equipment was as follows:

Drumkit - acoustic (thank God) hehe
    Bass - Fender Sidekick Bass 30
    Guitar - Gorilla "The Tube Cruncher" 35
    Vocals - Radio Shack 35w PA

It worked! We were all heard. Now come on... You don't REALLY need 400 watts or so to play. It just gives you the head room to adjust your sound exactly the way you like it. Now I am NOT saying that I am gonna take my Squire 15 and play the Long Beach Arena, but remember when we used to jam with that stuff???

Ah...nostalgia.... and now back to my Cyclops. Oh, I love my new amp... I think I will name it PeeWee. :)
  2. Hell, I go WAY further back than that ( first gig, 14 years old, 1962). I gigged with a homemade 30watt tube amp for years and years. BUT, these days I do believe that 300watts or more is the go. I have 1500watts at my disposal, not for volume, though I can certainly get it if I want it, but for BIG, FAT tone.
  3. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Me too. My first gig was 1962. Had a Kay six string guitar that I converted to a bass and a Sears amp, maybe a 15 watt.

4. First amp- Converted Heathkit hi-fi (that's "high fidelity" for you whipper-snappers out there). less than 20 watts I'm sure.
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    First amp...the mic input on a tube Sony reel-to-reel. Still have it.

Actually gigged at the church rectory. Smokin'
  6. Good stuff guys,I recall that in 1966 the true value of any amp was how many inputs it had, 2 guitars and a mic into a silvertone with one 12" , now that was jammin