1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Remeber what made you choose or love bass?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Silviu, Mar 16, 2006.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I started trying to learn guitar in 9th grade. At that time my main instrument was Alto sax.

There was a surplus of pretty good guitarists and virtually no bassists, so my friend suggested I learn bass since I had nothing on most these kids.

One day I went to Guitar Center and saw a bunch of Ampeg fridges and they looked pretty cool. I saw a 2x15 and was impressed by the giant cones and imagined the Thunda it would produce. After that I was more interested in the potential of bass and picked up a peice of crap Biscayne-4 for $80 from another kid.

2. smartinson

smartinson

Dec 15, 2005
    Longmont, CO
    I also started on Guitar first. I was drawn towards rhythm playing moreso than lead playing. I did enjoy soloing but was much better at keeping the rhythm down. So, when I first started playing with others there was never a bass player. I went to our local music shop in Minnesota and bought a Kay bass for $90. I enjoyed being the 'glue' that kept the others in line or in time. I've never felt the need to be in front or in the spotlight so standing in back and keeping the groove alive was perfect for me.

3. TBalls

TBalls

Mar 18, 2005
    Boston
    My cousin's exterminator was a student of Jon Finn's, and he made a mix tape which I got a copy of. It was a mix of Jon Finn Group, Chick Corea Electrik Band, Dixie Dregs & Bela Fleck.
    It was Victor Wootens fretless solo on "The Longing" that killed me. Of course, at the time I had no idea what a fretless sounded like, but I knew it was cool and unlike anything I had heard before. Come to think if it, I don't think I've ever actually learned that solo. I'll have to get on that.

4. Seigi

Seigi

Jul 3, 2005
    Queen Greatest Hits I & II

I used to play those two compilations over and over again, and Deacon's bass playing absolutely mesmerized me. I simply had to pick up that instrument.

5. i heard "my friend of misery" by metallica. i knew that i had to get into music. i got a bass for my birthday, been playing hard ever since. learned that intro within two months.

6. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    I was a drummer for 12 years when I heard Louis Johnson slapping on The Brothers Johnson's debut album, "Look Out For #1"......I was hooked!!!

15 years passed :eyebrow: before I took the plunge and bought my first bass, an Ibanez Soundgear 4 string.

7. NegatroN

NegatroN

Mar 22, 2006
    Germany
    I was playing violin but it just wasn't right for my. I love classic music but I hate playing what and how others tell me. So I decided to quit and play rock music. The decision for bass came when I heard Steve Harris. At that moment I knew that bass was "my" instrument.

8. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    Sigh!How many times is someone going to post this topic. I am sick of it. But here is my reply.

I started on guitar took up bass 16 months ago thinking I could get into a band more easily. I like bass but also still play guitar, too. though I am better at bass and play bass much more often than guitar these days.

9. davewisay

davewisay

Mar 21, 2006
    essex, england
    Quite simply, no one else wanted to play bass and I'd bought my daughter one so at least I had one and it was accompanied by an amp powerful enough to fill a small hall.The bass guitar was rubbish, and still it is, a dull thudding sound that approximates a note. Some of my daughters friends wanted a bass player in a hurry and so I was in. I don't suppose that sensible trousers, tie and jacket really fit in with the punk rock image and but that's what they got. My HH 212 combo didn't blow up and we played a lot of gigs. In actual fact I think it worked really well that I didn't fit in with the convential image of a rock musician (part time). I was a bit of an oddity.What I did discover was that I thouroughly enjoyed improvising bass lines to suit the moment. It must have sounded ok because after that my main source of gigs was people knocking on the door and asking "Are you still playing bass only we need...." Actually the same thing happened with my singing. All I know is that playing bass has given me lots of good moments to remember, most noticeably when Debbie, my wife, turned up in full rock chick regalia trying to look cool! It was only the local pub!

10. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    I started last year in 8th grade, I've always really been into the low insruments, like the baritone, tuba, and now the bass (my 3 instruments). I told my parents that if they bought me my first bass and amp, they wouldn't regret it, so they did. It's a squier p bass special, and a fender rumble 15. Well, after playing on that for about a year, I started to work at the local pool picking up trash and cleaning for $6 an hour. had already been babysitting for a few months, and that gave me around 400, but when I finished working at the pool, I had 1500 in the bank waiting to be spent. I had an immediate attraction to ibanez basses, and a bigger one to a 6 string. So I went on SamAsh, and bought the nicest ibanez I could, which just happens to be the most expensive (too bad they don't make it anymore, stupid limited edition). Around xmas of last year, I only asked for one thing, and that was my ampeg 210, and b2-re head. My parents didn't worry because they knew I was into it, and I am. I'm currently trying to learn to sight read music on the bass so I can be a better player in my HS's jazz band, I'm not completely failing though.

Greg

oh, btw, listening to the red hot chili peppers' albums alot also helped. Flea is really the one that got me into playing, and I'm glad.

11. I went to the battle of the bands and was amazed.

12. picknslap

picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    Manteca
    Very simple answer.

YYZ

13. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I originally started on guitar, it never really did it for me. I didn't 'feel it' that much. One day in music class I picked up a bass, plugged it in and hit the E string :eek: ... I loved the way it sounded - the sound filled the room so much more than the guitar and you could feel it in your chest. There was an intimate connection hehe..I made the quick switch to bass and have loved it since.

My dad and I got a used original Fender Strat for really cheap a few months ago. It sat in my room for the longest time up until about a week ago - Ironically enough, I cannot put her down lately, I now love the guitar. :bassist: not as much as bass of course ;)

14. svtscruggs

svtscruggs

Mar 18, 2006
    nashville, tn
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg Amps, Fender and Music Man basses
    woodstock '94 disk one...Primus " those damn blue collard tweekers" ....changed my life

15. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I remember it like it was yesterday.......or was it the day before? Anyway, there I was, tuning my 3 month old Strat, when the singer/lead guitarist handed me the 'band' bass, a '60's Kalamazoo, and said "either play this from now on, or you're out of the band".

It was love at first sight.:D

16. Not quite on point here, but I re-fell in love with bass again over the weekend!

I got my hands on a really nice Fender Jazz V that cb56 had all nice and setup - I played it Saturday night at a gig in good old Barnhart, MO and from the first note of the sound-check to the last 'bam' of the 4th set it was pure heaven! Truly love at first play. Now I feel guilty because my poor old-faithful MMSR5 sat on the stand the whole night wondering if it had done something wrong... I am bummed, cuz for now at least as long as I can get my hands on that Jazz Bass, that is the instrument of choice for me.

So originally it was Led Zeppelin, John Paul Jone - Rush, Geddy Lee, and the idea that one day I too could be on stage rockin' for the masses! But it continues to happen again and again - Recently with Victor Wooten - the even more recently with Chuck Rainey (I just learned 'Peg') - and soon again because I plan to learn the bassline to the Waitresses, "Christmas Rapping". It is a never ending love affair!

PS - again, thanks Chris! Love the bass!

17. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    My brother gave me a beat up old acoustic guitar that he put the electronics from one of his old electric guitars into, when I was about eight or nine years old.

I learned McCartney's "guitar" lines to The Beatles tunes (playing original 45's on an old record player).

I had no clue they were "bass" lines. I thought he played guitar! :eyebrow:

Then, of course, it was Led Zeppelin, etc. and the rest, as they say, is history. :D

18. LeftyJack

LeftyJack

Feb 23, 2006
    San Carlos, CA
    My wife nixed the drums idea and STRONGLY suggested that I take up the bass. She's awfully smart that way....

19. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    alice in chains- especially dirt

20. T-bolt

T-bolt

Mar 29, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    While I did have some interest in bass, I started on guitar in my late teens and my brother wanted to learn an instrument as well. He started out on drums, didn't like it and chose guitar instead, to my chagrin since I wanted to start a band, though eventually we did (3 guitars! and drums at the start). He wanted me to switch to bass, I didn't since I already had good enough equipment to rehearse with (plus I started playing first!). He relented and decided to get a Fender MIM P-bass and BXR100 combo amp, which I helped pay for until he could come up with the rest. After about 2 years the band broke up, and my brother wasn't interested in bass anymore. He decided to sell his bass gear to pay for an (overpriced) tube guitar amp and I managed to get the P-bass off him for cheap. Fast forward a couple years and I get the itch to play in a band again, and found that its a heck of a lot easier finding a band that needed a bassist (plus I find the bass "fits" me better now)... so I switched. I've now been in a few bands as a bassist and my brother hasn't played in a band since.