Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Remebering Tracey by Jaco???

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bassman_Spike, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Hi

Next year i will be doing year 12 music and bass will be my instrument...i was looking at the silibus(the song you can pick from) and there was a song called remebering tracey by Jaco

I searched on the net and Kazza for a recording and some sheet music but cant find it which got me wondering is it really meant to be portrait of tracey

If anyone can help that would be great

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Perhaps they mean the part of his instructional video where he's trying to remember how to play the song <b>Portrait Of Tracy</b>.
    It's named "Remembering Tracy" in the book version (CPP Media MMBK005CD).

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I think that's likely - Portrait of Tracy is a seminal work that had a major influence on countless bassists. I've not heard of 'Remembering Tracy', although hang around so that someone with more 'Jaco knowledge' can confirm.

'Portrait' would be a great track to learn - for anyone who thinks that bass is just about pumping eighth notes, it would be an eye-opener, so a superb track to use for a solo performance if you can learn it well.

Wulf

4. It is Portrait of Tracy. In the video and the accompanying instruction book it is named "remembering Tracy" probably because he was trying to remember how to play it in the video. I'd learn it, its a really good song.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :( :D

so sad and funny at the same time, but this is very much correct.

6. thanks for the help guys

i will probably learn it..so if anyone has some tips on playing it that would be great

oh yeah i have the sheet music from a site that had heaps of jaco stuff...it was in a thread not long ago...so if that has some mistakes you know about please let me know

thanks

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It's fascinating that they've chosen the version of Jaco trying to remember it (which I haven't seen) rather than the version from his eponymous debut album.

It would probably be interesting to dig around for the reason behind that - I presume they want a straight up performance rather than you sitting there going, "I think it goes like this..." or whatever Jaco does on the video.

Wulf

8. you said you had sheet music for it, when you read it, when it says 3.8, thats right behind the 4rth fret, and as for playing it, you can't just read through it while playing. I learned it by going measure by measure, it took a long time.

9. :( I bought that video.

I was watching it, my bass was in my lap, I was prepped for amazement/inspiration... then he started to play 'portrait of tracy'.

It made me really sad. Poor Jaco.

10. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I was going to buy that video, but downloaded it to check it all out first. The downloaded version is the worst quality video on some parts.
    But the other guy says something about harmonics, and asks him to play it and he says something like, remembering tracy, I havn't played this in like 8 years, or something.

PLAY THE ONE FROM THE ALBUM!!!!!!!!

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - as mentioned the video comes with a booklet which has the musical ideas transcribed - so I presume they just thought that it would be easy to type some of these in and that sketches like this, would have less copyright problems.:rolleyes:

Whereas - there are transcriptions of the album version - but I'm pretty sure they would then end up being legally liable to pay royalties to both the transcriber and Jaco's estate!!

So - People have asked about having transcriptions and sheet music on this site and Paul has said no, as this would cause copyright problems - he would have to pay!

So - basically, I would suspect the reasons are - time-saving - the transcriptions exist, no work to do - but at the same time avoiding paying a transcriber and avoiding claims for royalties...:meh:

12. Well its taken a long time but remebering tracey is defitnly (bad sp) the one from the video...on the silbius is remebering tracey and jam in E from that video...i find it really frustrating that they pick songs from a video that is now not being made any more...but anyways i will probably learn it...see how i go

13. Bruce Lindfield

14. oh ok..i think i meant cant be bought in australia any more

15. Bruce Lindfield

Can't you order stuff from Amazon? I buy music-related stuff from the US all the time.

16. spose i could...:meh: