Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Remedy for Low Nut Slot Causing Open String Rattling

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Mar 9, 2002.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Is there any way one low nut slot can be shimmed up? I believe the material is plastic. I'm only having problems with the open D string. Does the whole nut have to be replaced? Thanks

2. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    this is hypothetical: you could fill the entir slot with some kind or super harding liquid plastic or glue, and refile the slot to your likeing. But me personally i would jsut replace the nut with a brass or graphite one.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Get a $2 tube of superglue. The thick kind is easier to work with.

Remove string. Put a drop of glue. let dry add another drop. repeat until you get it to the height you need.

I've done it a few times and it works fine.

Chas

4. Superglue works well. You can also just use a little torn piece of a 3x5 card, cut it to fit.

5. I've always liked aluminum foil. Just use a few layers underneath the string. It's kinda cheesy, but it's not permanent, so you can experiment with your setup.

6. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Hey, thanks for the tips guys. Don't know about using superglue; I'm worried about getting it on the fingerboard. I'll try the card or foil though and see what happens!

7. 1. mask off area around nut slot
    2. buy a plastic nut at the music store
    3. file the new nut to get a little pile of plastic dust
    4. mix plastic dust with glue and fill slot
    5. allow to dry.
    6. with fine rat tail file, recut patched slot to size/depth.