Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by kcdbass, Apr 19, 2002.

1. kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    what does everybody think of PETER CETERA? he was the bassist who actually made me want to be a bass player.

i thought his early work with chicago was pretty brilliant ... really bluesy, great feel, tone.

the carnegie hall record up to chicago VII (their "white album, imho) ... was some of the best 70's bass i have ever heard.

never mind all that vocal duet stuff he did in the 90's with amy grant and cher ... i never hear him mentioned by the bass playing community as an influence or whatever.

what's your opinion?
  2. natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    I have ALWAYS liked Cetera's early work with Chicago...I play in a 70's band and we play bout 7 songs of theirs, and they are the only ones to give me any trouble playing.
  3. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Cetera was great... his early work with Chicago and later on, Jason Scheff's work both inspired me to play bass. Jason was my main influence, but all the early Chicago stuff of Peter's definitely is in there too. Great bassist! It's a shame he doesn't do much with that talent anymore. :-/
  4. kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    i couldn't agree more. he became a total hollywood balladeer or whatever. i'm sure he's got way more money than he really needs ...

so why not put that p-bass up on ebay so one of us can have it since he's not using it???
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Early Chicago is GOOD STUFF. 25 or 6 to 4 is one of my favorite songs. I simply cannot STAND the 80's ballad crap, though.
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Personally, Chicago I thru Chicago VIII works for me("Brand New Love Affair, Parts 1 & 2" from that segue. Awesome!).

The first album has some very nice stuff...
    "Beginnings"-A nice melodic line + some jamming during the extended outro.
    "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?"-Nice shuffle.
    "Questions 67 & 68"-Rockin'.

Then there's "Free" from a span of about 2 minutes, Cetera goes from a 'whacked' double-stop intro to Rocco(1/16th noted groove)to Jamerson(R&B line).

The basslines on some of the hits, too...good stuff!
    ("Saturday In The Park", Just You 'N Me", "Feeling Stronger Every Day", "Call On Me", etc).

Similiar to Cetera is Jimmy Fielder from BS&T.
    ...& maybe Harvey Brooks from The Electric Flag! ;)
  7. kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    hey man in my opinion, there's something magical about a lot of the 70's bass ... i get the feeling ... the vibe was like, "plug in your p-bass and hit record."

i dig a lot of the disco-era stuff, too in terms of bass vibe. hell, at least it was real bass. i have a button from that era that says "disco sucks."

but, had anyone known back then that commercial music would devolve as much as it has into "choreographed programmed boy bands" and crap like that, i think disco would be a relief right now.

this is all nothing more than a sign that i am beginning to age ... :eek:
  8. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I really didn't give him much consideration until recently. I'd seen Chicago a number of times, but always with Jason Scheff. Quite frankly, it's not my favorite music out there, though I still appreciate it.

Anyway, I was driving along and an old Chicago tune came on, one I don't know the name of. I was very impressed by Peter Cetera's bass lines. I thought the notes were well placed and he used a ton of taste in getting his musical ideas across!

Although I'm still not a huge fan of Chicago's I have a new found appreciation for Cetera.;)
  9. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Peter Cetera was a killer player until he turned into a wussified balladeer. Chicago's first couple albums have absolutely smokin' bass lines on them.
  10. yeah, Cetera was very cool. I'm actually a big fan of X, the 'chocolate' album. no pun intended, but his lines were tasty! in the pocket, great note choice, and it sounded like BASS!! I'm in a duet now with a femaile vocalist and we're working out a vintage Chicago tune -- I'm going to be sure and Cetera-ize it!

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Best bass player that ever ... played a Ripper.
  12. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I've seen Cetera playing that bass; I'm not sure, I'm thinking that Ripper actually belonged to Chicago's then-producer, Jimmy Guercio.

I have also seen photos of Cetera playing a Fender P-bass(natural wood)...& I think a Gibson EB-0(cherry finish).
  13. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I'm still pissed at PC for quitting Chicago, but Jason does a great job also. His dad played bass for Elvis in his latter years and did the bass parts on the Doors albums btw. The Current line up of Chicago kicks @ss, can't wait until they come out with a new cd. Until then I guess I'll keep spinning my bootleg copy of Stone of Sisyphus. Warner Brothers was nuts for not releasing that cd. The band was finally heading back in the right direction when they recorderd SOS.
  14. kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    :D :D :D That cracks me up!!! Are you sure Gene Simmons isn't the winner???

I believe that bass did belong to Jimmy Guercio ... but I loved that natural P-bass. And I have seen him playing that cherry Gibson.

The Chicago at Carnegie Hall album sounds like a P-bass to me ... do you agree?

I love the bass tone on that record ...
  15. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...the operative word is played!
    Not "wielded" or "posed with" or "spewed blood upon", etc

I'll try & give that Carnegie BOX a spin...I still have it on vinyl(never upgraded that album(s) to cd-dom). ;)
  16. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    AMEN to that. I got a copy of SOS straight from the masters on DAT and cherish that to this day. So much passion in that stuff and Warner's hated it. My fave off that record was probably "Get on This." Heckuva rocker.... Oh well... I've pieced most of the album together from that one copy I have, as well as tracks off imports and such that they released. Guess it'll ahve to do!
  17. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    if you are missing any of it you can go get it here

There are 2 versions there. I like the order of the songs on version #1 better but the mixes sound better on version # 2, so I downloaded the #2 versions but put them in the #1 order:confused:
    make sense?
  18. 5not4

Sep 7, 2000
    Flint, MI
    I missed out on the 70's stuff from them, not that I can't go out and still get it, but I really got into the early/mid 80's stuff just before he left. Albums 14 and 16 have some killer bass lines. Worth checking out.
  19. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Check out(at the least), Chicago's debut.
    They jam.

...& besides, you'll get to hear Terry Kath doing an "Eruption"-like/Free-style guitar solo quite a few years prior to Van Halen. ;)
  20. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    yeah,chicago rules!my dad has some of there cd's.I transcribed "saturday in the park",that bassline is ga-roo-vay!