1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Remember that time that your band played a birthday gig...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by esoxhntr, Sep 4, 2017.

1. esoxhntr

esoxhntr Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    ... and you went home with the best present?

IMG_4391.jpg

The guy that hired the band had this V4-B rig in his garage, and was hoping one of us would give it a good home.

IMG_4393.jpg

I just about crapped myself when he pulled the tarp off of it in his garage.

IMG_4394.jpg

I didn't use the whole rig, but in our last set I did plug the head into my Berg NV115. Apart from being a little noisy initially, the head seemed to work just fine. The noise went away after cranking the pots a few times.

I have to admit, I've always been a little fascinated by the V4-B, but know very little about it. At some point I'll clean it up, take off the wooden panels to inspect the speakers, and of course replace the tubes. To be honest, I'm not sure what else to do with it. I'm not going to gig it, it's just too big. I will keep it safe and sound in my basement and plug into it every so often just for some giggles... maybe use it for the odd rehearsal. I just didn't like the idea of it sitting in a garage unloved. So I will love it... so to speak...

If there are any V4-B aficionados out there that have interesting info about this head, I would love to hear about it.

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Why :wideyed: ?

3. esoxhntr

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    I'll have them checked out first of course but it seems to me that tubes being what they are, they would be a likely starting point for refurbishing a 40+ year old head. Again, I am quite willing to take advisement here... my ignorance regarding the V4-B is pretty much total. They have just always seemed very cool to me for no particular reason.

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Have a tech look at it first... an hours bench fee is a small price to pay!! In all likelihood, the caps are more likely to be an issue than the tubes. Beautiful rig all around!

-robert

5. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Holy crap :wideyed:

And it wasn't YOUR birthday???

He GAVE it to you?????

JMacBass65, HolmeBass and esoxhntr like this.
  6. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    No necessarily. They really don't make tubes like they used to, and new old stock tubes from that era fetch a handsome price. You may want to take them out to see what you've got in there, but if the power section is running properly, then you're volume will be fine. If you're not getting any extraneous noise (helicoptering, unnatural distortion, or other anomolies) your preamp tubes are fine.

Old tubes sound better than new ones. This, of course, is only an opinion of people who are knowledgeable. And old tubes are typically more robustly built than they are these days for better longevity.

The caps, however, you may want to have a tech check as they can cause trouble if they're slowly leaking.

mikewalker, Inara and esoxhntr like this.
  7. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Techs LOVE guys like you - sell you a set of crappy modern production tubes and then test and sell those vintage ones for big $$$ :D.

8. esoxhntr

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    Guys like me?

9. shadven

shadven Twang-tastic Bass Player and Song Writer Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I rock, therefore I am.
    That is a huge cab. But, it is a fantastic sounding cab. I have one... and the V4B head. My favorite rig. Too big for many gigs, but when you can justify it, it's awesome.

JMacBass65, bobyoung53 and esoxhntr like this.
  10. esoxhntr

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    Not quite... he was going to but I couldn't allow that. We eventually worked it so that I would do the gig for free and take the amp and cab.

11. esoxhntr

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    Thanks for the advice. I think a qualified tech going over it is a pretty solid idea. I have a guy in mind, he has been working on amps like this for as long as I remember (late 70's). Last time I checked he was still going strong.

murphy and agedhorse like this.
  12. esoxhntr

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    Noted, thanks!

13. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    As in you gave up your cut, or the whole band? Unless he was paying u over $2,000 ... he pretty much gave it to you. Either I'm misunderstanding the way it went down, or you don't even realize the magnitude of what just happened here. Don't get new tubes unless absolutely the tech suggests it, and ask for the old ones to be returned to you

14. esoxhntr

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    I gave up my cut. I know - I was very fortunate, but as you say it's possible I don't understand the full magnitude. These are so rare that I don't really have a price point to reference. The guy didn't know what he had. I told him that he definitely "had" something, but I wasn't sure just how valuable it was. He didn't want to be bothered putting it online, he was keen to just get it out of his garage. It just worked out that he really liked the band, and he wanted me to have it. I did not want to insult the gentleman's generosity, but I didn't want to take it for free.

15. I only played through the whole V4-B rig once in a little club many moons ago but it was one of the best sounding bass rigs I ever played through in my life. One of those cabs wired for 4 ohms and an SVT cab with an SVT head would be bass heaven. I would say your head and cab in that shape could probably easily sell for over 1500 bucks. I'll be honest with you, V4-B heads are very common but those cabs are really rare and very cool and really sound good. You were a lucky man.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    JMacBass65 and esoxhntr like this.
  16. esoxhntr

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    $1500? Whoa... even if that a little optimistic then it's definitely worth an hour's bench time with the right tech.

JMacBass65 likes this.
  17. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    We just played a birthday gig and I got all the free tacos I could eat, so kinda the same thing!

Some guys have all the luck!

18. esoxhntr

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    I'm trying to think of even one gig I play where this would be appropriate. I play a pretty wide variety of venues... Bars, weddings, birthdays, retirements, company parties... maybe break it out at a seniors home?

bobyoung53 and lomo like this.
  19. esoxhntr

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    Well, I've been playing gigs for about 40 years, and this is the first "find" that I've come across. I guess it just goes to show that you never know... we got lots of free food too :)

armybass and Jamvan like this.
  20. Vintage V4-B heads are going for 600.00-800.00 even higher on ebay, the cab would be hard to sell as they're so big but the right person would pay a decent amount for it. Wait to you try it out, plug a P bass with flatwounds into it if you got one.

JMacBass65 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021