Remember the bus to Ohio story? The issues of tee shirt design? I quit today.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by njones89, Feb 14, 2018.

1. njones89

njones89

Mar 27, 2015
    Sioux Falls
    I might still do a BoB with the group, but I'm outtie. Too many issues and I no longer enjoy being in the band.

I am going to start my own band, actually be the bandleader, and I have been writing and recording stuff. I want to do the vocals and will probably have to do guitar since I don't trust other guitarists anymore. It will be alternative rock, with some progressive elements. Basically, the music I would want to play as a bassist, even though I will probably not be the bassist.

List O' Problems (I probably forgot some of them)
    • frontman had his gf do "band photos" for an upcoming BoB and they all suck; they picked a photo without me.
    • guitarists have started a volume war with their tubes and I have tinnitus and probably hearing loss from the last two practices alone.
    • they bought a friggin' gas guzzling bus and used it for a single show out in Ohio just so the frontman could impress his friends and family - luckily I didn't pay out of pocket for this. At this point I am not the only one who disagrees about this
    • I don't agree with any of the band's decisions on what to use the earnings on.
    • they are focusing too heavily on band image and I don't agree with their thoughts. I think more thought and time ought to be spent on the music instead.
    • I have problems with the vocalist's style and I think he sings off-pitch and chooses out-of-key melodies. He is not a good frontman; he is not funny or entertaining and comes across as if he is overcompensating for something.
    • The bass is mostly an afterthought and completely buried in the mix. The lead guitar is too flashy and I was competing with two 8-string guitars. They also wanted to add keys and another guitarist. Pfft.
    • The music is going in a direction that I don't like. The songs that drew me into auditioning are not played live anymore and have changed all the things I liked about it, and the newer songs are not reminiscent of the style.

2. WHO RIDES THE MAGIC BUS??
    Luckily not you.
    Good luck with youre new project

njones89 likes this.
  3. The only downside is the band management forum loses its best source of entertainment.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    jive1, J_Bass, DirtDog and 1 other person like this.
  4. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    2x8 string guitars? I assume you play some sort of metal music?

five7 likes this.
  5. njones89

njones89

Mar 27, 2015
    Sioux Falls
    A crappy style of metal that was too focused on droning F notes on the bottom string - yes. I don't really care for that kind of stuff. I do like Meshuggah. I want to do rock though.

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    What took you so long???

five7 likes this.
  7. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Sounds like the best decision. Good luck in your new venture.

8. one 8-string is enough to quit....2 jeez.

It's like the photo without you was a visual representation of you being lost in the mix

allenhumble likes this.
  9. It's no problem for the bass to cut through the mix with 8 strings if the band actually puts work into creating cohesive sound & mix.

10. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

First of all, don't do Battle of the Bands gigs. Pretty much always a total waste of time.

RoadRanger likes this.
  11. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    In the immortal words of Bullwinle the moose, “bail, Rocky, bail!”