Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Remember the good old days.......

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by throbbinnut, Dec 27, 2001.

1. .....back in the mid-late 80's, listening to Butthole Surfers, Bad Brains, Jane's Addiction, JFA, and I think Flying the Flannel and FromOhio were in the tape deck as well, along with Mojo Nixon, Camper Van Beethoven, Sonic Youth, Exploited, GangGreen, Black Sabbath, Led Zep, & Rush, etc.

Skating on boards that had big old tails and pointy noses. Enjoying life.

Playing 70's Southern Rock covers like ZZ Top and Lynrd Skynrd songs in a local bar band for $15 a night when you're like 17 and the rest of the band is like 25-30?

I remember it. And that's some of the cool crap I thought about when I saw your name.

No question or anything. Just passing on the cool vibe.

Rock On.

Chris

2. the more things change, the more they stay the same...

early to mid 80's, listening to black flag, minutemen, dead kennedys, circle jerks, dr. know, cyndi lauper, madonna, fear, flipper, plasmatics, public image ltd., ramones, bad brains, and the "let them eat jellybeans", "rodney on the roq", and "not so quiet on the western front" compilations.

no skating, but a lot of walking, tormenting innocent people (bullsh*t - people guilty of having bad taste in music!) with many of the aforementioned tuneage via my silver panasonic boombox!

playing top 40 covers (no skynyrd, which i totally abhor, but some eliminator-era zz top, which i still dig) in a bar band at age 18 for $30/night. (did your bandmates give you sh*t for listening to punk? mine did, except for the lead guitarist who turned me on to anthrax and slayer!) and getting picked up twice - once by the lead guitarist's girlfriend at an early gig, and once by a pretty buxom blonde chick eight years older than i at one of my last gigs... yowsers!

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    My current situation:

Listening to New American Shame, Stuck Mojo, Alleman Brothers Band, Green Day, Testament, Tool, Led Zepplin, Black Crowes, Ac/Dc, Ted Nugent, The Doors, Rush, Shaver, Johnny Cash, George Benton, Chemical Brothers, Robin Ford, RHCP, Sleep, Black Sabbath, Marvelous 3....

Driving my car mostly. Still going to fire hall dances and having a good time.

19 and playing with guys 25 - 30. Doing classic rock, (Of course some Skynrd) blues, 80's New Wave, and 90's (like 3 Doors Down and Cracker) covers. Having fun meeting all the new people in the bars I play.

What fun.

This is a cool thread, and Mike Watt kicks ass.

4. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

chris,

thanks much for those great sentiments and thoughts. inspiration is a huge part of music in my opinion.

on bass, watt