Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

REMEMBER WHEN MY TRUSS ROD SNAPPED?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    A while ago, I told you all a story about my truss rod snapping on my PEAVEY TL-6, it snapped right at the head so so you cant tighten it or anything leaving me with a SERIOUS back bow, :mad:

so to compensate, I had to adj my bass to the following string tunning...A-D-G-C-F-Bflat, this forced me to relearn the neck since every thing is now a whole step off :eek:

but now I can play the lowest note on the piano A, with my open A string, I like this alot, but learning the neck again is a new challange, I was gonna throw this bass away since I was convinced there was no hope for fixing a neck-through, but to my surprise, this bass still sounds GOOD :eek: IMO...the Peavey TL series basses are work-horses, I think they sound good and they are CHEAP to get.

I made some lemon-aid out of a lemon I guess, just thought I would share. this bass has earned its war stripes.
    :hyper:

just thought I would share............ :meh:

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Congrats. Good job on making the best out of a bad situation.

3. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Well, you could put a capo on it if you want to get back to normal open tuning.........fret markers are still gonna be confusing, though.

4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah, good way of thinking. It is cool to be able to play the lowest note on the piano, but sometimes (especially depending on string guages) it can be too floppy.

5. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    That would be "forward/front bow". Your neck is bent forward from the string tension (resulting in high action) since your truss rod no longer provides resistance to compensate. "Back bow" occures from an over tightened truss rod pulling the neck too far back.

I too like the low A option which is why I've had d-tuners installed on my 5 and 6 strings for years.:bassist:

6. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA

I Did not know you could put detuners on 5/6 string basses, do they work like hip shots, with just a flip of a level you instantly got your bass de-tuned on the B STRING, or does this detuner detune all the strings at the same time????

7. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    It is the Hipshot. They used to call the device a "D-Tuner" before they started calling it a "Bass X-Tender".:)

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    The Zon Hyperbass has 'em on all four strings. Sweet.

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Hey - no need to use all-caps when typing the thread title. If your threads are that much more important than anyone else's. . . . well, wait, they're not. ;) Thanks.

10. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Actually it has two for each string.
    The ones on the headstock, and the bridge has a lever on each string as well.
    So in combination, each string can be pre-set to 4 different pitches (normal, headstock lever, bridge lever, headstock and bridge levers together).:eek: :help: :hyper:

11. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    DON'T YOU HAVE SOMETHING BETTER TO DO?!?;) ;) :D

12. rudetay

rudetay

Sep 19, 2003

And the fretboard is 3 octives long...fretless

I would love to see someone use that bass to it's full extent. Reminds me of a pedal steel guitar.

13. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Now, before we get to deep into the hyperbass, there's an "Ask Michael Manring" forum ;)

Back to the original topic:
    Did you ever ask a luthier whether he could fix it for you? Maybe he can take the board off and put in a new rod.

14. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hmmm :meh: How's about Michael Manring?... just a guess

Sorry, this was just asking to do it
    :smug:
    :D
    :D

15. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    when I first got my 66 p bass I gave the truss rod a crank and it snapped, guess it was already to it's limit. But I sent it off and had it repaired, they do something where they heat up the neck and the glue melts enough to pull the fingerboard off then he replaced the truss and also did some fretwork when it was finished. Turned out great.

16. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    One way is heating up, the other way is some chemical solution that melts it.

17. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Don't need it. Got the info from a Manring interview back when he started using the Hyperbass. Zon also offers it without all the d-tuners. I also saw a pic of a fretted model.

18. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Actually I have not because I just figured it would be too expensive to justify, but I could be wrong :meh:

19. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    That...is so intensely cool.