Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Remember when Paul Chambers played bass with Miles?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by joe_sorren, Jun 20, 2005.

1. joe_sorren

joe_sorren

Apr 7, 2005
    arizona
    So recently I purchased the cd remastered version of one of my favorite all time favorite jazz records-Someday My Prince Will Come. I have always enjoyed it on vinyl, but after hearing this remastered cd multiple times on different stereo's, It is unbelievable how poor the remaster is. Has anyone else experienced this? Miles trumpet is so piercing that it is unlistenable and Paul is hardly even in the mix he is so eq'ed out. This is why I have listened to it on different stereos. But it is consistantly annoying wherever I play it. I have tried setting the eq's differently to help remedy the problem (dropping the highs around 1 and 5k and boosting the bass around 125-250hz) but alas it just sounds muddy and still annoying. Please pardon my tone, but I have always loved this album and am blown away at this attrocity. Thankfully I still have the vinyl to listen to. Again, has anyone else experienced this?

:(

2. Sometimes the remasters aren't so good. I try to stick with the companies that seem to get them right. Finding them is trial and error. Most of the ones I've gotten that are recent remasters, such as Kind of Blue, and Sorcerer, are excellent. I think Kind of Blue is much better than the vinyl and better even than earlier CD's. I never had Sorcerer on CD before, but that is mostly Ron Carter. On the digital remaster there is a several years earlier cut with Chambers.

The Oliver Nelson Blues and the Abstract Truth is excellent on CD. It is on the Impluse label and that is one of the companies that seems to get the remasters right. My CD of Giant Steps (Atlantic) is better than the tape, I didn't have the vinyl. Chambers sounds great on both of those.

I also have some most excellent Mingus released on Impulse. Somehow their titles are never on sale.

I like the remasters that capture the character of the original vinyls so I am sorry to hear about SMPWC. I was looking forward to filling in my Miles collection and now I'll be wary. :eyebrow: What label is it released on and does it say who did the remaster?

3. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    You mean the one with the bonus tracks?

4. Yes, Sorcerer is a 75th Birthday release apparently (1998) and has the 2 bonus tracks, alternative takes, one featuring Buster Williams on bass. The cut with Paul Chambers should be on all releases.

The Kind of Blue remaster has been "retuned" from the original tape, not the original pressing. Apparently the vinyls were pressed off pitch. This was common all the way through the 1970's at least. So now I can play along with "So What". According to the liner notes, the engineers went back for this remaster to the tapes and used an all tube mixer, like what what was used to make the recordings. That's the sort of details, unfortunately, that the listener has to watch for. Not all digital remastering is equal. Far from it. There are probably earlier releases that sound inferior to this one. And yes, this release also has a bonus alternate take.

5. joe_sorren

joe_sorren

Apr 7, 2005
    arizona
    Yes, It is the one with the bonus tracks.

here is a link to the cd

By the way, the Django Reinhardt "Live at Birdland" by Atlantic is real good. Also, The Ron Carter two cd set," The Best of the Concord Years" is also a great release.

6. Joe,

Does that SDMPWC have a credit in the notes for the mastering engineer? The two I am referring to before are engineered by the same guy, Mark Wilder. The link didn't have enough info to know, but that is a credit worth looking for. On this Kind of Blue, Chambers is full and clear.

7. joe_sorren

joe_sorren

Apr 7, 2005
    arizona
    I am not sure who remastered it, I'll see if I can find it.

The Kind of Blue rerelease sounds great, thanks for the information Silversorcerer. I'll check it out.

8. :) A friend of mine has the live Django, so I've heard some of it, and it is on the wish list. I'll check out The Best of the Concord Years, too. I could use a little more Ron Carter on CD. Thanks.

9. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Often I find that the remasters reveal too much of what was recorded (as digital tends to do), and the sound is too compressed and flat. Analog sounds very warm and alive. But CDs are improving a lot. Late 80s CDs were mostly awful.

10. I'm interested in how you feel about the complete Bill Evans Riverside Collection...especially the Vangaurd sruff with Scott and Paul?

11. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I don't have that box....I have boxes from that time like Complete Miles Prestige and Complete Bill Evans Fantasy, and they're ok.

12. When I said "you", I meant all of you not just Alexi....
    In other words....ya'll

13. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Yeah, people, CMON, reply! :D

14. joe_sorren

joe_sorren

Apr 7, 2005
    arizona
    Hi Paul,

As far as the Bill Evans Riverside collection goes, I haven't heard it. I did pick up the Sunday at the Village Vanguard yesterday and very much enjoyed it.

To repeat what I meant by the first post, the thing about the Miles "Someday" is that Miles' horn is eq'ed so harshly that is is almost unlistenable. I don't care if the recordings (especially field recordings) are somewhat poorer in quality, but when it is infused with so much of a "modern" sound that it is grating to the ear, and all the warmth and body is sacrificed for a more commercial sound (which is what i think happened on "Someday") that is just sad.