1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Remembering John Lennon

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Inky13, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    Every December 8th, I like to listen to a few Beatles/Lennon songs.
    I’m still angry that some nut job decided to take his life. I know that John was a complex, mercurial man, but he seemed to be mellowing in his later years. I often wonder in what direction his life would have taken him. Personally, I think he would have evolved into an elder statesman, championing causes of human rights, environmental concerns and other global issues. Or perhaps he would be an embittered recluse. Any thoughts from the TB continuum?

MCF likes this.
  2. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I think this type of question can only be answered with pure speculation, bordering on a wild guess. Look at the lives of people who were famous in their youth and you see biographies that are all over the place as they got older. Many celebrities can stay successful in various endeavors throughout their lives. Many change their priorities and become admired for projects different from what made them famous. Still others crash and burn from success and grow old in shame and misery.

One thing that is typical, though, of people who are famous for creative output that becomes popular, youthful creativity doesn't last. Musicians, scientists, entertainers, and other creative professionals may continue to produce successful material as they get older, but it's rarely as good as their earlier work.

3. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I'd guess he would have explored art in many forms (some more popular/successful than others), been outspoken, but basically kept himself to himself.

Basically no change.

the harp unstrung and Inky13 like this.
  4. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I remember where I was when he was shot... do you?

I was a baker working for a hippie organic bakery that also ran a food distribution warehouse (and several markets - very successful hippies...). I was delivering a load of bread to the warehouse. I was in the warehouse and the local rock station was playing, and suddenly interrupted with the news that John had been shot. Everybody just stopped, shocked. There was a lot of crying and hugging.

RIP, John Lennon.

Inky13 likes this.
  5. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I was watching Monday night football. Howard Cosell broke the news.

russosborne and Inky13 like this.
  6. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    I remember this like it was yesterday. I was at home when the news broke on TV. I immediately turned on the radio, and virtually every station in Los Angeles was playing Lennon music or discussing his life and legacy. It was very disturbing and sad.

Inky13 likes this.
  7. rendevouz

rendevouz

Jan 8, 2013
    I see him as host of his own game show "Can you Imagine" the show where there's no answers and the questions are made up on the fly.:smug:

buldog5151bass, Mushroo and Inky13 like this.
  8. Dec 8. is a bitter sweet day for me.
    It's my birthday and the day Lennon was murdered.
    That's all I gotta say about that for obvious reasons.
    R.I.P John.

Inky13 likes this.
  9. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Happy early birthday.

dtripoli and Inky13 like this.
  10. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I was 17 years old, driving with my friend Mike, in his Silver '78 Camaro. We ran out of gas, and a white '66 Pontiac LeMans stopped, driven by a guy we worked with, a waiter named Harry. We were thinking what a drag it was that we had been out of gas, and freezing our hind ends off, and bemoaning our lot in life, when the local radio DJ cut to Howard Cosell.

"Remember this is just a football game. No matter who wins or loses. An unspeakable tragedy, confirmed to us by ABC News in New York City. John Lennon. Outside of his apartment building on the West Side of New York City. The most famous, perhaps, of all of the Beatles. Shot twice in the back. Rushed to Roosevelt Hospital. Dead on arrival."

I no longer cared that it was cold. I no longer cared that we had run out of gas. My friend Mike, as many of my friends at the time, didn't much care about the Beatles or John Lennon, but I had posters of him and them all over my room, doing the one thing he didn't want anyone to do: hero worshiping him.

I had purchased Double Fantasy the day it hit the stores. John Lennon was back, if only for a brief, fleeting moment.

One of the saddest days of my young life.

MonetBass and Inky13 like this.
  11. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Caught this show when it aired here, on the radio etc.. It's a surreal experience.

Made me realize exactly what we're missing. John's such an important figure, for so many reasons. My heart was singing. Waters does a fine job reminding us who John Lennon is. That radio show must be around somewhere … :)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Inky13 likes this.
  12. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA

Inky13 likes this.
  13. Many Thanks!
    Quite decent of you to say so.
    DTripoli

Inky13 likes this.
  14. My oldest niece was born on December 8, 1980.
    Out of about a dozen of them, her's is the only birthday I remember.

And I also heard about it on Monday Night Football. Made me change how I thought about Howard Cosell.

Russ

Inky13 likes this.
  15. Oh my yes.

My bass is in the back of the car as I head east to Las Vegas from Los Angeles, where that morning I passed my audition at MI. Feeling pretty good about the world and all, and switch on the radio.

Finding pretty much a city full of what will one day appear to me like all the characters in the original Leisure Suit Larry, I pop a coin in a machine. One pull, out comes five dollars and I have a drink to John.

MonetBass, sneha1965 and Inky13 like this.
  16. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    Happy Birthday! Enjoy every day!

dtripoli likes this.
  17. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    500full-john-lennon.

8189054a1c189004e23cfbf26988653e.

6fb29f7e0e3ec8cb5fa226a41fa2d734.

7e6fae2d73087e78c984a1dd6a88d242.

069b544d92f7af5d44473ec8ccff0310.

ed8e2fdf1095ffead830f6ff784965bb.

9b6e4abff45e160564ead7a7f9142ccc.

322cbda7a875004138a17c0665825883.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    garp, GregC, Inky13 and 1 other person like this.
  18. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Thanks for the reminder of John's death! It's time for me to play, A Hard Day's Night and cry!!!!!!!

John means a lot to me and you but for others.................John who? (Welcome to the 21st Century.)

Gen%20Z%20Blog%20Photo_0.

iGen-and-Technology-.

iGen-12.

Inky13 likes this.
  19. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA

GregC and Inky13 like this.
  20. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    I prefer not to focus on what happened on December 8th, when he left this world, but rather on October 9th, when he was brought into this world.

Morrighan and Inky13 like this.