1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Remic mics review

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Adam Booker, Mar 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Duluth, MN
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    All, I have just completed my youtube review of Remic microphones. Plug in some headphones or speakers and enjoy!

2. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Wow Adam, what a totally awesome video. Thanks for taking the time to make this.

DrayMiles, Ric Vice and Adam Booker like this.
  3. Adam Booker

May 3, 2007
    Duluth, MN
    Thanks Adrian! I enjoy doing these. It's one thing for us to talk about gear here on TB. It's entirely different to get to actually hear and see it in action.

rickwolff and vin*tone like this.
  4. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    So I just ordered a Remic Green with the intent of using it for live gigs. Not necessarily stupid loud but I still figured the Green was the way to go. Most of the time I'm playing trio with guitar and horn but sometimes I am playing bigger band and I'm next to the drums. Seems like some of the previous reviews here on TB were not very complimentary on the Green so I'll see. Hearing the bleed from the Red from your video it just made no sense to me for any kind of live jazz use.

Adam Booker likes this.
  5. Adam Booker

May 3, 2007
    Duluth, MN
    I never figured out what everyone was saying about the green. I found the tone to be beefy, and not mid-rangey at all. If anything, I've had to roll off the lows a bit. Of course, ymmv as we say... I'm sure you'lol enjoy it!

DrayMiles and Ric Vice like this.
  6. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Adam
    Anton Johannes posted two soundclips in the original Remic thread. In those samples the Remic Red sounded incredible, but the Remic Green sounded like a pickup. Now that we have your wonderful YouTube video we have a better idea of what the Remic Green sounds like in combination with the Grace Designs Felix.

Ric

7. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I'll be trying the Remic into the preamp section on the Bud, which has a pretty nice preamp section, so we'll see how it goes.

8. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Anchorage, AK
    The green is on its way to AK too. Can't wait to hear it paired up with Maestro Felix.

9. Wow that really does sound superb

Adam Booker likes this.
  10. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Yep, their amazing and the price has come down recently, which makes them more accessable to a larger group of
    players.

Ric

Adam Booker likes this.
  11. MrMyopia

MrMyopia

Dec 1, 2016
    Little Rock AR
    Great job Adam. The red sounds fantastic, I'm not quite as taken with the sound of the green.

I see posts here talking about how they lowered the price but on their site they still appear to be $700 each. Am I missing something or is that considered a price drop?

Adam Booker likes this.
  12. Adam Booker

May 3, 2007
    Duluth, MN
    They used to be $1000. I think this new price point makes them more competitive with DPA.

13. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    True, I got one last year after they did some extensive testing at the Steamboat Jazz Festival in Denmark. It was slightly used, but in very good shape and cost

less. From my experiences with both the Remic Red and the Remic Green. The Red is an incredible mic for recording. The Green is great for FOH. As of yet

I don't run the Green into my amplifier, but I'm still working with it. If you listen to Adam's demo you can hear the differences between the two mics.

Ric

Adam Booker likes this.
  14. Great video. It's been interesting to go back and forth between Adam's recordings and those at Listen | The Pickup Test (those samples are for violin and cello only, but allow the listener to directly compare the Remic to the DPA, Schertler, Countryman, Realist, etc.) In their video review of the Remic Green, the sound engineer Scott Fraser, who works with the Kronos quartet and others, says that he's never heard so little bleed from a microphone before. At the same time, he says that an engineer doesn’t need a huge amount of separation to use a microphone for a mix—about 6DBs. Makes me wonder if the Remic Green is worth the trade-off, especially in small to mid-size gigs without too much feedback. I do like the sound of the Red much better in Adam's video.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    Adam Booker likes this.
  15. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Well, there is a definite difference between those two mic's in my experience. So far, using the Remic Red in live performance with drums
    and horns requires blending a pickup with the microphone, if you intend to
    send it back to your amp. The green can work alone, so it depends on the sound you're after and the volume levels you're playing at. FOH those problems are easier to EQ then using
    an amp. Just my take.

Ric

Bbilger likes this.
  16. malvarengo

malvarengo

Oct 15, 2008
    FLORIDA-USA
    Hi Adam, what amplificadsor do you use live?

Adam Booker and Ric Vice like this.
  17. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    In my experience with both the Red and Green models, (over a year now) the Red has a beautiful even fine tone, but it feeds back pretty easily limiting its volume. The Green has some weird characteristics that can be overcome easily with a high quality eq: one is a mid bump (on many basses, mounted either under the fingerboard between the bridge feet or behind the tailpiece.) The other is a huge woofy sub tone that happens when the mic is either placed in the wrong spot or wedged too tightly (this can largely be over come with HPF)
    I love the Red mic and I take the Green on and off. Truth is the Ischell does this job way better, with less feedback, no woof tone and no mid bump. Plus it stays on the bass in the exact spot you want it and remains consistent gig to gig. THe Green mic can get a great sound to be sure (a notch filter really helps too) and is a wonderful mic. It just isn't a no futz mic that you plug in and can use with great confidence in a live situation (I have for example stepped on the cord or otherwise dislodged the foam wedge (it compresses after awhile), and wondered why I suddenly had no signal....just to see it laying across the bridge. That problem happens with the Red too. They are great mics, just not plug and play.

Ric Vice and Adam Booker like this.
  18. Adam Booker

May 3, 2007
    Duluth, MN
    Phil Jones Bass d400 and C4 cabinet.

19. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    My experience with the Remic Green is on par with Flatback's. On my bass the Ehrlund EAP is plug and play, by comparison the Remic Green needs something akin to the Grace Felix with a notch filter to EQ the microphone. I can still get way more volume out of the EAP.

Ric

20. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I got a Remic Green and played around with it at home and then took it out on a trio gig last night. I am totally loving it. I put the mic and the Lifeline through my Henriksen Bud. I found I had to roll off the bottom end of the mic (80 Hz) and lot of the low mids too (420 Hz). I also found that if I moved the mic a little further up the top of the bass I had less problems at the low end. Essentially I'm using the pickups for the lows and the mic for the top end and I probably mix with about 70% mic and 30% pickup. There's no doubt the mic adds a huge amount to the sound. Natural warmth and definition in the end that makes it a lot easier myself up there. Usually when I do concerts at the National Arts Center here in Ottawa I use a DPA for the house and the Lifeline for my amp. I'll be back there in April and it will be interesting to try the Remic instead.

The only thing that's not great is that the small foam disc used to anchor the cable is a bit too small to fit under the fingerboard of my Cleveland. I had to put it right up near the underside of the neck heel and even then had to jam something underneath it. That's an oversight in the design and clearly it was only tested on basses with less overstand.

Adam Booker likes this.