Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reminder to use proper tools

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Hookus, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Reminder here to use the proper tools, especially for those people who are looking for cheap ways to do things.

I had some of these spring clamps that were like 99 cents at the home depot, and was using about 15 of them to glue on a back to a blank, using them for the edge. I have two purpose made clamps I use to press on the center.

I bought these clamps because they were cheaper and easier to use then C-clamps, and it seemed like they would work just as well.

I was wrong. Not only was I wrong, but really, I knew better than this, and felt like an idiot when I had a gap around the top edge of my back after trimming it all up with a flush cut router bit. I knew better than to use shortcuts, I eally did, and felt like a complete idiot afterwards. But, as Hambone put it, you screw it to the wall as a reminder...

This cost me a big chunk of mahogany, which is running about ten bucks or so a foot these days, and a bookmatched back of crazy figured looking mahogany, along with some walnut veneer, all said and done, probably about 60-70 bucks worth of wood.

So for everyone looking for the cheap and easy shortcut way of doing things, hope you have plenty of wall space.

2. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I was being a bit melodramatic, I can salvage a bulk of the body, but have some backup plans in the form of a slab of ash...

I used Titebond II, but did not think I could salvage any of it, this sounds like an experiment in the making. To tell the truth, I thought heat only worked with things like hide glue. I had planned on planing the back off, in order to save the bulk of the body. Any thoughts on heat, I am thinking a clothing iron?

It still amazes me that no matter how experienced you are, you can still make some dumb mistakes like this. Seems like every time I try a new body style, I get some setback, or lesson learned. Needless to say, I now own 15 new C-clamps.

But, if I can't make it work, I have a screw on standby.

3. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    with the judicious application of heat you may even be a ble to melt the glue enough to clamp it down and squeeze out the excess then let it cool and harden

4. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Heat and reclamp, huh? Sounds like a nice approach, but really, really though. You need to get a very precise and even temperature....

And to remove, shouldn't you actually add vapour, too? That's what the guitar techs use around here, anyways.

5. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    I have done the reheat and clamp down with pva glued veneer.
    Used dry heat with an iron or hot air gun moist heat can warp it. Steam is ok if you are removing it completely
    No experience with titebond II not common here
    Jeff

6. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Will try some of those things tomorrow.