Remote Car Starters ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by .-.LeX.-., Dec 14, 2003.

1. im considering getting my girlfriend a remote car starter for xmas, i dont know much about them , but i want it to be able to remotly start her car, and unlock the doors by remote.

she has 91 ford taurus.

has anyone installed one of these? are they worth the hassel ? can anyone reccomend one ?

2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My parents use that in one of their cars. Its cool.In the winter when its cold, you can start car from inside so it warms up, you can even have it turn on the heat for ya. They arent too hard to install.
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    the 91 taurus is not worth putting gas in IMHO. But thats because I have had to work on a lot of crappy ones. But as long as it is automatic and you know how to hook it up, you'll be fine
  4. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

Doesn't even have to be automatic. They come with detailed instructions, and you can hook up a bypass to override the clutch and let it start. Most of them are protected so that if you try to start it in gear it won't start.
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    just a word of caution though......having your car sit in the driveway running while you are inside preparing for work/school can be dangerous...what better target for a car thief? in some cities, you can get a ticket for leaving a running car unattended....

6. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    This device would be great for bank robbers. No need to employ a driver, just start the car when you're still in the bank, one less person to split the money with!
  7. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I have one in my truck, I think it is awesome!!! Hit the button when I get up. Trucks warm when I get in, windows are defrosted, cool just cool.

I had a "Bulldog" brand in a older truck that I have sold since, That tried to start itself as I was driving down the road!!! I had to stop and pull the fueses. So I would stay away from Bulldog brands.
  8. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    $200.00..... dont put it in yourself...
  9. I thought the main use of remote starters were in armoured VIP protection cars, used to check to see if a bomb has been fixed to the car before you get in it and

10. Overriding the clutch for remote starting is illegal in all 50 states. I know. That's why my truck no longer has remote start.
  11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Would be hard to drive the car away without the keys, the steering column would still be locked.

Most of the car starters out there will let you get in the car while its still running, but if you step on the brake pedal (like youre getting ready to put it in gear) without the key in the ignition, the engine will stall.

Beyond that, its a 91 Taurus. That alone should be enough to scare off a thief. :D
  12. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    So, because I have a manual trans car, I can't get a remote starter? Bummer.
  13. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It is too risky to use a remote starter with a manual. First off, being illegal... Then the problem of the extra load on the starter with the clutch being engaged could really wear on your starter. Also, my truck needs new emergency brake cables, so I have to keep it in gear to keep it from rolling. I put a wedge behind one of the back wheels on a steeper incline. But anyways, speaking of crappy fords(sorry... I had to say it.) I saw a 89 or so tempo with one of the rag top type things like some cadillacs have. I thought it looked cool, but of all the things you could invest your money in(like a newer car)... Kinda like those retarded looking spoilers on cars. I have seen an Intrepid with a huge spoiler. YOU'RE NOT ON A RACETRACK! GET OVER IT! What good is so much downforce on the back of a front wheel drive car without front wings. Which refers me to my first point(in all caps). Anyways, rant over... Thank you.