1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Remounting a pedal into a new enclosure

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by caeman, Aug 2, 2012.

1. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    How of many of y'all have taken some pedals that you've liked, and remounted them into a new enclosure...but not just one pedal, maybe two or three?

2. I have never done that, but once I swapped the guts out of my old Qtron with the guts of one that worked better. My Qtron was REALLY over the top when engaged, and I couldn't mellow it out. My keyboard player had just picked up a slightly used one from GC, and didn't like it, so he came over to my place and I A/B'd them. His was way easier to control, with out the obnoxious volume spike mine was plagued with. Since he wasn't going to keep it, I swapped the guts so my pedal would work better, and he could return his to GC without them even knowing what I did. I'm naughty...

3. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    I remounted an old Maestro Ring Modulator (original 1970s box, designed by Tom Oberheim) into a 19" rack enclosure. That was a fun project...except for the fact that I wound up using it less once it was rackmounted, since it wound up being somewhat less portable! (Kicks self.)

4. icecycle66

icecycle66

Feb 4, 2009
    Arizona
    I've been rehousing a bunch of stuff late;y. I've rehoused Boss and Behringer pedals. Behringer pedals are the worst.

I don't see why putting multiple pedals into one enclosure would be much different.

What is it that you are putting together?

5. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I'm really wanting to rehouse my BDI21, but I'm not sure the pedal would survive.

6. aens_wife

aens_wife Commercial User

Jun 14, 2011
    Co-owner, Dwarfcraft Devices
    It is totally doable. You just have to be super careful. If you have to cut wires, make notes on where they go, etc. and be careful not to ground it out

7. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I am enjoying my dual comp experiments and I seriously considering keeping the two Guyatone ST's and having them rehoused together into one enclosure. And also, my old Behringer BEQ700 EQ. The three would take much less space inside a single box than as individual pedals, with a shared power connection and the potential for an box that looks way more awesome.

8. Col Colostomy

Col Colostomy

Sep 13, 2011
    Scotland
    Good question, I'm looking at getting a Behringer DD400, since by all accounts it appears to be a very close approximation of the Boss DD3. However, its weak point (and judging from this thread, a weakness of most Behringer pedals) is its plastic enclosure so I'm thinking about switching it into a metal enclosure.

9. NeroJazz

NeroJazz

May 2, 2011
    Denmark
    I had DannDubblewe rehouse a Boss BF-2:

photo-1.

10. Col Colostomy

Col Colostomy

Sep 13, 2011
    Scotland
    Jesus, that looks amazing. How did he do that finish?

11. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I have it on good authority that he used crushed and dry Smurf powder as the base for the paint.

12. And also etched the enclosure :rolleyes: . :D

Do you have any questions or are you just curious?

13. icecycle66

icecycle66

Feb 4, 2009
    Arizona
    caeman:
    Can you take a picture of the top and bottom of the Guyatone circuit boards? Or just the inside of the box might do. I'd like to see if they would be difficult to switch or not.

I don't think messing with the BEQ700 is worth it. I destroyed my favorite comp limiter twice trying to rehouse it. If I buy another, I am just going to leave it in the cheap and ugly plastic box. I've also rehoused my GEB7, the boss bass EQ. Cutting for the sliders is a huge pain in the ass.

14. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    2012-08-06_19-13-29_123.

15. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Everything is surface-mounted, it seems

16. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Hopefully the BDI21 is that easy.

17. icecycle66

icecycle66

Feb 4, 2009
    Arizona
    That's a bummer. I wouldn't mess with it.
    But that doesn't means someone else wouldn't be more comfortable doing something like that.

18. DannDubblewe

DannDubblewe Knob Wrangler

Apr 3, 2009
    TN
    :ninja:

They deserved it.

19. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    You mean board mounted. :) Surface-mounted components means something else in an electronic context.

IF you don't mind the re-housed unit have the knobs and footswitches in the same arrangement, then all that would need to be done is to un-solder the jacks and put wires in their place. One nice thing about board-mounted pots and switches is that you don't have to figure out a way to secure the PC board in the case.

Cliff notes: Shouldn't be too hard if you can find the right size enclosure.

20. Big +1