Removable neck bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by HunterBrodt, Nov 3, 2011.

1. HunterBrodt

HunterBrodt

Aug 24, 2009
    Boise
    Whats been peoples experience with flying with rn basses. I recently picked one up, but the first time I'm flying with it is on Monday. Have you been able to tell them it's a cello? If not do you get a discounted fee?

2. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    If it's a removable neck, it should have a case that fits in regulation with luggage, therefore, not charging you extra. A good trick is to have someone hold your case, go use the electronic desk for your ticket, get a luggage ticket, and stick it on there. That way, they can't run up to you and tell you to go to cargo, because it's already got a luggage ticket on it!

3. terryd

terryd

Jun 21, 2011
    I have flown twice with a NS La Scala with a removable neck using a Gage case. I used two local and one long haul US airlines. ( American commuter, Alaska Air, and Era Alaska. I was charged only $60 at the first point for overweight. The gage case is a little pricey, but very well made and easy to handle with sturdy wheels. The first time I tried detaching the neck case, thinking I would get past the over weight limit, but then they wanted to charge an additional $60 for the extra luggage, so I reattached it. It's interesting how light the bass body is without the neck.

See: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f1/ju...la-scala-very-happy-here-820335/#post11768995

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021