Removable neck travel basses

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by simandlhandle, May 10, 2005.

1. I know there are a few removable neck travel basses on the market, and I wondered if anyone has experience using these, with regard to strings.
    Does it cut down on the life of a string? Increase breakage problems? Do the trings tune up OK, and how long does it take them to settle down? One repairer here said he had had problems just when taking the strings off to make repairs, with a kind of twisting of the string which puts it out of phase with itself. You can visually see that the string doen't vibrate true from one end to the other, and they sound awful.
    What strings have people used when they have used these basses regularly? :)
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Spirocores and I have no problem. It's an EUB, so YMMV. After assembling the Alter Ego it takes an hour or two for the whole thing to settle down. The instrument has to settle in as well as the strings.
  3. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN

I traveled with a borrowed Clevenger bass that had a removable neck. It was strung with Spirocores and they seemed to be OK after taking them off and restringing a couple of times. It only seemed to take 20-30 minutes of playing for them to settle in each time. I think that most steel core strings would be OK for this type of situation. But strings like Obligato or Eudoxa/Olive are very prone to having the steel windings become separated at the bridge when they are put on and taken off a bass frequently. Also, don't forget to put a little pencil graphite in the bridge and nut slots to keep the strings from sticking each time you put them back on.

In general, and I'm interested if others agree, I think that the less you have a set of strings on and off of a bass the better. They seem to go deader each time you do this. Some strings are worse than others in this regard. Even fully detuning and retuning a lot can have this effect. I think you'll get the best life and sound out of a set of strings if you put them on, tune them up, and leave them alone as much as possible (other than regular tuning).

4. Thanks for your answers. It was kind of like I guessed, Spiro's work best, but better than that, take the neck of as little as possible.